Nautiloid

Wrangellian

Anyone recognize this? It's another tagless item I acquired, I guess it's Eutrephoceras sp. but not sure where it's from. I think I have seen similar ones online from Montana and elsewhere, but nothing to make me sure. Species, location, age/formation? Thanks

post-4372-0-90934400-1292405405_thumb.jpg

post-4372-0-36905000-1292405431_thumb.jpg

post-4372-0-58177900-1292405453_thumb.jpg

post-4372-0-83429000-1292405475_thumb.jpg

Wrangellian.... Cant help with the locality other than I have one very similar from the Fox Hills formation, Montana in the USA ammonites thread... but its a very nice specimen....

How did you get on with the suture diagrams for the ammonite.... any luck with the ID?...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Looks like a good old Fox Hills formation Eutrephoceras dekayi to me. Impossible to be sure of a specific locality, of course.

Where was the post about the ammonite suture? I missed that one.

Don

Looks like a good old Fox Hills formation Eutrephoceras dekayi to me. Impossible to be sure of a specific locality, of course.

Where was the post about the ammonite suture? I missed that one.

Don

That was another question I posted "Ammonite - France?" for another item I had not tag to.

What age is the Fox Hills Fm?

Wrangellian.... Cant help with the locality other than I have one very similar from the Fox Hills formation, Montana in the USA ammonites thread... but its a very nice specimen....

How did you get on with the suture diagrams for the ammonite.... any luck with the ID?...

I still can't decide but I'm leaning now toward your ID of Harpoceras (falcifer). But some of those profile drawings didnt have sutures with them and I dont trust my own eye with them anyway (interpretation). I'd love to have someone who knows these things look at it in person.

I still can't decide but I'm leaning now toward your ID of Harpoceras (falcifer). But some of those profile drawings didnt have sutures with them and I dont trust my own eye with them anyway (interpretation). I'd love to have someone who knows these things look at it in person.

possibly at the time of writing the book the author didnt have access to those missing suture patterns to include... Im convinced myself its a Harpo of some description...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

The Fox Hills formation is late Cretaceous, Maestrichtian stage. I hope no-one is going to go and re-name all those Cretaceous stages too.

Don

The Fox Hills formation is late Cretaceous, Maestrichtian stage. I hope no-one is going to go and re-name all those Cretaceous stages too.

Don

(Thanks) I doubt that, the Cretaceous stages are all pretty entrenched, no?