Sketch

Ordovician_Odyssey

Thanks, Dave! To be honest, I've only done two of those since I've been down here; Ewan is definitely giving me enough to do, don't you worry about that! We should get in touch, there's definitely some interesting stuff I've seen in your collection. Bobby

Well I figured I might as well include some of my more recent work here. From left to right they are:

-earbones of a Pliocene whale

-proximal humerus of a bony toothed bird

-maxilla of a large T. rex

-life restoration of the head of a Miocene walrus, for a manuscript in review

-life restoration of Diplodocus

-life restoration of the early whale Remingtonocetus

-life restoration of a Miocene auk, Miomancalla

-skull of the Sei Whale, Balaenoptera borealis

Wow, mad drawing skills!

OPPORTUNITIES IN ICE-AGE RECONSTRUCTION!

Anyone with a love of the Ice Age and an artistic flare is cordially invited to help us out! The Waco Mammoth Site – one of the finest Pleistocene konzentrat-lagerstätte in the world – needs help. In the latter half of August we’re collaborating with the local zoo to produce a series of short documentaries on ‘Ice Age Texans and their Modern Kin.’ The zoo’s got the ‘modern kin’ part covered, but we’re short on Pleistocene Texans at the moment. We’ve got pictures of bones, sure, but we don’t have any decent artistic reconstructions. There’s plenty of good art on the internet but we don’t have the rights to use most of it. We could track down some rights-free artwork, but we’d feel a lot better with art from an artist we know that made the art just for us. If you’d be willing to do some reconstructions for us, they’d be used as part of the program. We would of course work out a way to get your name on-screen – we could either make sure the signature is visible in the artwork, or make sure you get a mention in the credits. There isn't much time left, but there are still quite a few critters we need reconstructions of:

§ Panthera leo atrox / Panthera atrox

§ The largest lion (or perhaps the largest Panthera species) ever

§ Arctodus simus

§ The mightiest bear ever to live in North America; it was a super-hyena analog.

§ Equus giganteus

§ Equus conversidens

§ Equus francisci

§ North American horses of all sizes.

§ Tetrameryx shuleri

§ Hayoceros falkenbachi

§ Part of the lost diversity of the pronghorns, the All-American ungulates.

§ Castoroides ohioensis

§ Giant. Beaver. Need I say more?

§ Mylohyus nasutus

§ Platygonus compressus

§ Portly peccaries of the Pleistocene.

§ Tapirus veroensis

§ The US version of the weird perissodactyl pig-elephants of Latin America and SE Asia.

§ Neochoerus pinckneyi

§ Texas' own ROUS.

As you can see were primarily concentrating on Rancholabrean animals, with a few of the more charismatic Irvingtonian critters thrown in. I’m neglecting extinct meso and microfauna, as well as extinct subspecies of extant species. In both cases, however, I could be persuaded to change my mind if you’ve got any really exciting ideas for illustrations.

As far as the ‘level’ of art, we’ll probably be limited by our medium here. The art will be featured on TV which has a pretty limited resolution. You’re doubtless a better expert than I, but I suspect that that a lot of detail is going to be lost on the viewers, but that nice bold lines and colors will transfer fairly well. Again, take this all with a grain of salt – I’m a paleontologist, not an artist. Please feel free to use whatever form of art you feel most comfortable with. Digital saves us the trouble of scanning the picture for the TV station people, but that’s the least of our concerns. As far as size and resolution goes I’ll defer happily to you – with a reminder that it needs to look good on TV. For a due-date, let’s go with August 1st – so we have time to get the material to WCCC before we shoot the documentary.

If you are interested, shoot me an email at DonaldE@ci.waco.tx.us. Name your beast and I’ll send you a packet of information on the animal, including images of complete skeletons and muscular diagrams of extant relatives (when possible).

Warmest Regards and Keenest Anticipation,

Don Esker

Program Coordinator / Paleontologist

Waco Mammoth Site

DonaldE@ci.waco.tx.us

Work Phone: (254) 652-1249

Cell Phone: (330) 858-2156

• 5 months later...

I apologize for the thread necromancy of an older thread here. :blush:

Cryptidsaurian's recent post about drawing fossils made me want to try it, so I took on the same trilobite I had asked him to draw.

I gave this one about 10-15 minutes of my time last night - I only used pencil though, as it is the only medium I had on hand.

Feel free to let me know what you think of the result.

Thanks for looking.

Regards,

post-2806-0-58969800-1357314850_thumb.jp

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I was thinking there was another 'sketch' thread on here.

That's an awesome job, Tim!

There's alot of artistic talent on here, and it's a treat to see!

I'm doing good to draw stick figures, though ^_^

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Hey there everyone!

I love this thread:) I am a big fan of Paleo-art, have been since the 60s:) I saw the great art of the Green River fish Priscacara in another thread, and the finished work on Deviant Art, and thought I would try to do my fave fish Knightia. Sorry the coloring is so rough, I had to use color pencil cause I only had printer paper to draw on tonight and liquids make it ripple something awful:(

I want to eventually try to sculpt a 3D Knightia life sized in Milliput or Green Stuff Epoxy Putty. I love small resin and white metal models of prehistoric life! My favorite was David Krentz' Antedeluvian collection (which mix and matched well with role playing and wargaming figures!) What do you think of this blue with yellow fins as a color? Too Pelagic looking? I thought blue was mostly a marine fish color but saw the Alewife has a dark blue back. Course he came from marine fish initially, but isn't the theory that the Knightia and Gosiutichtys were originally marine origin too?

I'd love to hear your ideas for alternative color schemes:)

post-14149-0-71058200-1389158395_thumb.jpg

post-14149-0-41412500-1389170284_thumb.jpg

post-14149-0-45950000-1389170302_thumb.jpg

post-14149-0-21364200-1389170319_thumb.jpg

post-14149-0-31904200-1389170337_thumb.jpg

Archived