Mr. Edonihce

Earthaven Museum

Mr. Edonihce

When we arrived at my wife's folks' place the other day, they told us about this little museum in town that they had never heard of before.
Today, we went there (over the river and through the woods in the great white Northern snowiness of backwoods Wisconsin) to check it out. As it turns out, it's actually a pretty cool little place.

There's no fee to visit the facility, and the owner (a great guy that I look forward to hooking up with out in the field some day) gave us a little tour and explanations and stories too ...very knowledgeable, and enjoyable to be with (and I probably made a hunting buddy for the next time he gets to Colorado) cool.gif

Of course, the majority of the specimens are minerals and other non-fossil rocks, but he definitely has a few fossil display cabinets as well. It's pretty cool how he has it all organized....not just misc rocks all over the place....little explanations of 'what a rock is', 'what a mineral is', 'what a fossil is'....you know....to help teach kids (and other interested/curious people) the basics, and then some more extensive stuff for those that want to delve further into Earth History (the real, science-based version of Earth History.
I took my 'give-aways' box (I always have it with me in case I meet any other paleo folks along the way) out of our vehicle at my wife's folks' house (working on a storage project in the back of the FJ). So, I will be heading back over there either tomorrow or some other day before we leave so I can at least offer something to him if he wants anything that I have.

I will try to get in here and post some photos from inside the museum once we get back home, but for now, at least here's their web address...

Earthaven Museum

WI Parrothead

Thanks for sharing! I will have to put it on my WI Bucketlist. Both of my kids like rock and fossil hunting so I am always looking for instructional/fun to visit places when we are out and about.

Mr. Edonihce

Thanks for sharing! I will have to put it on my WI Bucketlist. Both of my kids like rock and fossil hunting so I am always looking for instructional/fun to visit places when we are out and about.

You're very welcome.

At some point, I will be sending him a 'care package' of fossils from Colorado and Texas. Perhaps, if I get to that soon enough, you could share in the goodies when you roll through there......no idea when I'm gonna get to it though.

Mr. Edonihce

the link to the museum's website is wrong. the correct one is http://www.earthavenmuseum.org

Thanks.

Yes, it is wrong. Unfortunately, the person they had managing the site/domain previously didn't do their job and lost the domain (it's now owned by somebody that is using it as a catch-all junk spot for ads, etc), and they refuse to return contact attempts.

So, they had to get a new domain.

Also unfortunate is the fact that, even though I created this thread, it is not allowing me to go in and edit that link.

So, I will ask the mods for assistance.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Oh, by the way, I had the pleasure of meeting up with them again this summer (my wife is from Gillett and we were there for a family visit) for a short time for some discussion, to see what's new in the Museum, and a quick geology field trip to a spot in their area. There's always something new and exciting happening at the Earthaven Museum.

EDIT: I just sent a message to the administrator.

Edited by Mr. Edonihce

Auspex

Thanks for the heads-up: your link is fixed.