Worm Like Devonian Fossil: Shores Of Lake Huron

pleecan

Here is a fossil that I have been pondering for a few days the plausibility of a pyritized worm.

The conodont fossil jaw which has been previously posted is found on this plate, but the main fossil that caught my eye is a curved worm like object..... I will post the fossil first, part and counter part followed by detailed shots.....

This is Late Devonian , the area is famed for concretions boulders.... this is black shale that sits ontop of the Hamilton Group that is characteristic of Arkona. Kettle Point is located some 45min drive north west of Arkona , located on the shores of Lake Huron. Lots of iron in the shale ....

PL

Edited by pleecan

Close up: Imaged with a Nikon 995 with 2x Plan Apo Objective Lens direct coupled: new Optical Configuration.

Edited by pleecan

Peter,

First glance - figured it for a mineral stain.

However, on closer inspection, I am intrigued by the appendage looking things, coming off of the orange portion.

Anything from the ROM on this? :unsure:

Also,... any ideas on what the small circular fossil looking things are? Ammonoid/gastropod? Arthropod?

Neat looking, whatever they are.

Will wait to see what others have to say.

Regards,

Edit : for spelling.

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi Tim:

I will be sending the pics of to the ROM.... I see small walking legs and segmentation. A rare pyritized worm was found a few years back in Arkona in Hamilton Group formation...

PL

Just installed a 10X Plan Apochromatic Objective to Nikon 995 and got some clearer image of elementary canal on the worm...

Also there is a potential second worm parallel the first worm...

[

Edited by pleecan

Hi Peter, Interesting piece, it sure looks reminiscent of the Mazon Creek stuff... I would be especially inclined to think it's a worm if there is also a difference in texture associated with the stain as you see in the Mazon worms. But I can't decide if I see that from your pics. Not that your pics are bad, just not sure if I can see any significant texture - if anything it is smoother, maybe that means something, I dunno! But to me the most curious feature is those little round things. I'll be watching this space for updates.

Eric

Edited by Wrangellian

Not picking on you here, pleecan... educating. It is the alimentary canal, not elementary. I'd give you the derivation, too, but I don't know it.

Not picking on you here, pleecan... educating. It is the alimentary canal, not elementary. I'd give you the derivation, too, but I don't know it.

I'll give it a go jpc. If it's not correct perhaps our Latin expert Raff might weigh in? Close I hope!

Latin:

alema, almus; food or meal

ter; instrument or tool

teres; cylinder or rounded

alimentarius; pertaining to nourishment

alimentary = nourishment-instrument

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hi Peter, Interesting piece, it sure looks reminiscent of the Mazon Creek stuff... I would be especially inclined to think it's a worm if there is also a difference in texture associated with the stain as you see in the Mazon worms. But I can't decide if I see that from your pics. Not that your pics are bad, just not sure if I can see any significant texture - if anything it is smoother, maybe that means something, I dunno! But to me the most curious feature is those little round things. I'll be watching this space for updates.

Eric

Hi Eric:

This is an interesting piece....Kettle Point has interesting geological concretion boulders up to 10' in diameter.... the black shale is filled with pyrite and marcasite... there maybe a chance o pyritization of soft parts as pyritzed worm was found some 30 miles away at Arkona. I do have several worms from Mazon, and Chengjiang for comparison....

Peter

Thanks very much JPC for the correction... I am a crummy speller... it is not a common word in my regular vocabulary....

I'll give it a go jpc. If it's not correct perhaps our Latin expert Raff might weigh in? Close I hope!

Latin:

alema, almus; food or meal

ter; instrument or tool

teres; cylinder or rounded

alimentarius; pertaining to nourishment

alimentary = nourishment-instrument

Thanks Scott for the Latin derivative.

I am hoping this is one of the ultra rare pyritized worm......

PL

Dec 28, 2010.

Just sent off pics to (D and J) of the ROM for their opinion.... Probably will not expect a response till after Jan 6, 2011 ....

Generally Soft bodied preservation is not common here in Ontario.... the occurance of pyritization and marcasite formaion is quite common to this area....

Are there any annelid experts out there or collectors of fossilized worm material there would care to comment?

PL

It will be interesting to see what they say. My vote is for mineral stain. I base that on the similar staining that is on the perimeter of the rock. That being said, I have no knowledge of that formation, so I'll be waiting to see what the ROM says. Interesting piece for sure! Thanks for sharing it with us.

A pyritized worm was found in Arkona some 30 miles away..... a few years back....

Proc. R. Soc. B (2007) 274, 499504

doi:10.1098/rspb.2006.0063

Published online 28 November 2006

A pyritized polychaete from the Devonian

of Ontario; Una C. Farrell and Derek E. G. Briggs

So could this unknown be ...

Annelid

Polychaeta

Phyllodocida

Arkonips

Arkonips topororum?

Edited by pleecan

Hi Inyo:

Definitely my favourite non DSLR Cameras for microscopy is still the Nikon Coolpix 990, 995 and 4500 ... all have great Nikon lens and a 28mm filter thread that fit microscope adapter and telescope adapters and now direct link to microscope objectives... I love these camera especially with apochromatic objectives that are super sharp...

PL

Hi Eric:

This is an interesting piece....Kettle Point has interesting geological concretion boulders up to 10' in diameter.... the black shale is filled with pyrite and marcasite... there maybe a chance o pyritization of soft parts as pyritzed worm was found some 30 miles away at Arkona. I do have several worms from Mazon, and Chengjiang for comparison....

Peter

Plus Mazon Creek isnt that much further, and your Eramosa site is closer, no? The possibilities are endless. I don't think you always need pyrite for soft-bodied preservation, as most of Mazon is not pyritized but it does occur in siderite (iron-stained) nodules.

No idea what your piece is Peter, but here is the worm that was found

http://strata.geolog...full.php?id=423

Thanks Kevin...for the Topor worm image... we will see what the ROM has to say.... in a couple of weeks when they get back to their regular routine... either way the results will be posted.

Learning experience for every one... I think there are 2 worms on the plate... the conodont jaw assembly is a small dot at the outskirts of the worm like object..... there is also mystery circle fossils... brachs or arthropods...???

PL