Need Reptile Expert To Pick Up The White Courtesy Phone

greel

I saw a pic of a deinosuchus vert that Paleoc posted in 2010 finds. I found a similar looking vert, but

quite a bit smaller. Crocodile material (usually teeth) are known from this creek. Could this be a croc vertebrae?

-greel

post-102-0-52181000-1294118799_thumb.jpg

post-102-0-28761300-1294118826_thumb.jpg

post-102-0-62868000-1294118866_thumb.jpg

post-102-0-42592800-1294118907_thumb.jpg

post-102-0-05268400-1294118945_thumb.jpg

Looks crocish to me. The ball-and-socket ends are typical croc vert. But... lizards and snakes have this too (at least the few that I am familiar with), but this looks croc to me.

A vert that size reminds me of the Snake vertebra I found at an Eocene site in VA (Muddy Creek). Snake verts have that ball-and-socket end to them as well, and they also have the hole for the nerve to run through. Try searching/googling for snake verts from the same area you found this specimen in to see if you can find a match, or rule it out altogether.

Daryl.

Thanks fellas for the input. Either croc or snake, it's the only vert Ive found in the creek with such a pronounced ball and socket on each end.

-greel

Could it be turtle?

I do believe you've got it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 4 years later...

Sorry Greel, four years later, I just heard the white courtesy phone ringing. Yes, it's a small crocodilian vertebra (snake vert. have paired zygopophyses on both sides, turtle cervical vertebrae have a lower neural arch), and yes, it's way too small for Deinosuchus rugosus, the giant estuarine croc. It's likely a small river croc like Leidyoscuchus or Borealosuchus. They're procoelous, so the side with the concave centrum is anterior.

• 2 years later...

Archived