Succor Creek Fossil Flora

piranha

These plants are from the Miocene of the Succor Creek Formation.

Succor Creek flora spans from eastern Oregon to Owyhee Co., Idaho.

RE: Ore Bin bulletin and catalog of the flora and woods of Succor Creek. LINK

Succor Creek Flora

Middle-Late Miocene

Malheur Co., Oregon

post-4301-0-45720000-1294181829_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-39552100-1294181844_thumb.jpgpost-4301-0-01000200-1294181835_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-63845800-1294181850_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-39018900-1294181860_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-87179300-1294181869_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Top row #1 (left to right) is simply put a sensational specimen...

I need to add an emphatic "Roger that!"; wonderful fossil! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Top row #1 (left to right) is simply put a sensational specimen. You have a perfect leaf from an extinct water oak--Quercus simulata--residing on the same bedding surface with an oak acorn cup! Wonderful, indeed.

All of your specimens are in my opinion oaks, by the way, except for one: top row--all Quercus simulata; bottom row, image #1 bottom specimens--Quercus simulata; bottom row, middle specimen is a Mahonia (one common name for Mahonia is Oregon grape; also Oregon grapeholly). The remainder are certainly oak leaves, as well, probably from the oak Quercus pollardiana (used to be called Quercus hannibali), which is quite similar to the living maul oak Quercus chrysolepis (also called Canyon live oak) now native to the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada and the Coastal ranges of California, primarily. Q. simulata and Q. pollardiana are very common consitituents of Miocene floras in neighboring Nevada.

http://inyo1.110mb.com/middlegate/middlegate7.html

A complete leaf from the extinct water oak Quercus simulata I collected several years ago from the middle Miocene Middlegate Formation, Nevada.

I need to add an emphatic "Roger that!"; wonderful fossil! :wub:

Thanks Guys for the great compliments!

I have a photo atlas for the Succor Creek flora but sadly I haven't been able to secure its whereabouts. :blink:

An additional shout out is in order to Inyo for spot-on classification and superb command of the subject. :)

Outstanding finds that make me want to travel. Thanks for sharing. I am constantly reminded in post after post the incredible knowledge and insight shared on a broad range of topics.

This forum is rather unique.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hey Piranha, Yep, that first one is really spectacular and the others are quite nice. Looks like a neat site to collect. As it turns out I have one sample from that formation from Rockville, Oregon with 3 Oak leaves and an Ash Seed Fraxinus coulteri Dorf Label says the Oaks are Quercus hannbali Dorf that Inyo mentioned.

post-1240-0-14884300-1294887244_thumb.jpg

post-1240-0-31533700-1294887126_thumb.jpg

Hey Inyo, do you agree with those ID's?

Thanks for sharing the collection photos! Regards, Chris

Nice ones indeed! I like that first one too, as well as that 'holly'/OR grape I think is the one..

(Where is Inyo's original post, I only see the reply to it.. did he delete it?)

These plants are from the Miocene of the Succor Creek Formation.

Succor Creek flora spans from eastern Oregon to Owyhee Co., Idaho.

RE: Ore Bin bulletin and catalog of the flora and woods of Succor Creek. LINK

Succor Creek Flora

Middle-Late Miocene

Malheur Co., Oregon

post-4301-0-45720000-1294181829_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-39552100-1294181844_thumb.jpgpost-4301-0-01000200-1294181835_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-63845800-1294181850_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-39018900-1294181860_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-87179300-1294181869_thumb.jpg

Scott,

those are really nice especially that first photo!

The lithology does look very similar to that of material found near Whipsaw Creek.

Very cool stuff out there!!!!!

Dan

That first one with the acorn is awesome, it is just stunning.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

• 3 years later...

Hi there. I've just seen the amazing acorn+leaf fossil from Succor Creek and I need to contact the owner (Piranha) to ask him/her for permission to use the image. Could you please prove me an email? Thanks

Fernando Pulido

Spain

nando@unex.es

Hi there. I've just seen the amazing acorn+leaf fossil from Succor Creek and I need to contact the owner (Piranha) to ask him/her for permission to use the image. Could you please prove me an email? Thanks

Fernando Pulido

Spain

nando@unex.es

Please contact him through our private message system, as we cannot give out member's email addresses.

Here is a link to his profile: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 5 years later...

I just found this site and found leaf fossils likely from this same Succor Creek formation in about 1983 doing stuff out in the Owyhee area in SW Idaho trying not to trip and fall on my face! I will post up some pictures soon too.  I am grateful to learn more about their history in time having even gone to the Smithsonian in Washington DC to find something relatable many years ago.  The colors of the stones shown are precisely like those that I found.

22 hours ago, craighoover said:

I just found this site and found leaf fossils likely from this same Succor Creek formation in about 1983 doing stuff out in the Owyhee area in SW Idaho trying not to trip and fall on my face! I will post up some pictures soon too.  I am grateful to learn more about their history in time having even gone to the Smithsonian in Washington DC to find something relatable many years ago.  The colors of the stones shown are precisely like those that I found.

Looking forward to seeing your photos. I like plant fossils more than I like any other kind of fossils. I would rather have a seed pod than a Megalodon tooth. (unless it's a 7-incher, then I could sell it and get lots of seed pods and leaves and ferns and cones and . . . .)

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

There is a limit to the max MB size of photos you may upload. Try reducing the size of the photos to 1024x732 pixels and you can upload a bunch at once. Otherwise, you will need to upload one, refresh the page, and then upload the next, etc.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

piranha, these are absolutely spectacular specimens - especially the first photo!!! A very good quality collection of plants.  I have a few but nowhere as nice as yours.  Thanks for sharing.

3 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

piranha, these are absolutely spectacular specimens - especially the first photo!!! A very good quality collection of plants.  I have a few but nowhere as nice as yours.  Thanks for sharing.

The leaf with acorn is an all-time favorite. Thank you! :fistbump:

• I found this Informative 1

I can understand why.  This is the first I've seen like this and I haven't seen many with this exquisite detail either.