Fossils In Kerrville Tx?

Xaita

Been at the inlaws this week for a funeral in Kerrville TX. Been asking around about the possibility of fossils in this area and no one knows of anything. Have I been asking the wrong people? Anyone ever hunted in Kerr Co? I would think this part of TX would be pretty fossil plentiful. Sure would give me something to look forward to when we come visit the inlaws.

Geologic map shows Cretaceous - should be something there.

One of the Texas experts should be along soon to let you know.

Best of luck!

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

You're up on the Edwards Plateau; karstic limestone, not too fossiliferous.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Kerrville is smack in the middle of the Edwards reef complex. I have found a number of good specimens of Rudist bivalves and oysters around that area. Some of the formations present there are the Segovia, Fort Terrett and Kirschberg Evaporate. the Segovia and Fort Terrett are fossiliferous in places. The Kirschberg Evaporate is not, it can be identified by easily visible collapse structures and coarse brecia.

Weathered exposures are best, as the Edwards group tends to be very hard and does not give up it's treasures easily.

Hope you have good luck.

• I found this Informative 3

As anyone who has ever driven through the Hill Country knows there are only about a million roadcuts and creeks in this area. I spent some time in the Guadalupe river yesterday. All I found was a recently deceased turtle shell. Heard some rumors of dinosaur tracks in Harper Tx. Next trip scheduled for February. Weather permitting I will be on the hunt.

• 3 years later...

Found this little jewel along an exposed section of reef in Kerrville. Olives continue to live in modern times from low tide to about 200 feet. This one lived between 1 and 5 million years ago....obviously has seen better days, during what could be described as the last time we had "global warming."

post-14719-0-23747900-1394981548_thumb.jpg

Found this little jewel along an exposed section of reef in Kerrville. Olives continue to live in modern times from low tide to about 200 feet. This one lived between 1 and 5 million years ago....

I think the fossils in the Kerrville area are way older than that; more like early Cretaceous?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Found this little jewel along an exposed section of reef in Kerrville. Olives continue to live in modern times from low tide to about 200 feet. This one lived between 1 and 5 million years ago....obviously has seen better days, during what could be described as the last time we had "global warming."

Your shell looks to be a weathered specimen of Euglandea a very carnivorous recent land shell. In the Southeast the species is rosea however I am not sure if it is the same in Texas or a different species. https://www.google.com/search?q=euglandina+rosea&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=AjQoU7CBOcj32QXW6oDwBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=622

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

• 4 years later...

I live near Turtle Creek roughly 8 miles from town. I have found a few early Cretaceous period Turritella shells in chert which is a sedimentary rock that includes flint which in itself are billions of micro fossils. A large piece of a mastodon tooth and even a few meteor fragments on the land I live on which is close to where they hold the folk life festival. So yes it is not that hard to find if you don't mind a little digging, searching and breaking open some rocks. I have no photos at this time but will take some and upload in the near future. Happy Fossil Hunting!

• 2 years later...
On 4/29/2018 at 12:10 PM, Ken Schauer said:

I live near Turtle Creek roughly 8 miles from town. I have found a few early Cretaceous period Turritella shells in chert which is a sedimentary rock that includes flint which in itself are billions of micro fossils. A large piece of a mastodon tooth and even a few meteor fragments on the land I live on which is close to where they hold the folk life festival. So yes it is not that hard to find if you don't mind a little digging, searching and breaking open some rocks. I have no photos at this time but will take some and upload in the near future. Happy Fossil Hunting!

Sooo um do you have the pictures?