Show Us Your Scolecodonts/ Conodonts And Other Micros:

pleecan

• 2 weeks later...

nice specimen Socket.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 months later...

Thanks, Roger, I, like the earlier post take lots of photos and cull out the worst. I am still hoping to upgrade my camera with a stacking program. Your photos were very good, nice finds.

Packy

• 3 weeks later...

Some forams from the Oligocene of Kobrow, Germany and an assortment of other micro sized mega fossils.post-2520-0-70040400-1426633350_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-18975200-1426633393_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-19026700-1426633448_thumb.jpg

Edited by Herb

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

An U.Ordovician conodont.post-2520-0-99430900-1426633572_thumb.jpg

Why Herb! You've been holding out on us! Excellent micros :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 6 months later...

Here are a couple U.Ordovician scolecodonts and a conodont from the Grant Lake Formation in Louisville, KY.

post-2520-0-79216000-1444694657_thumb.jpg

post-2520-0-30056000-1444694664_thumb.jpg

post-2520-0-53235900-1444694670_thumb.jpg

post-2520-0-55204600-1444694679_thumb.jpg

post-2520-0-37560400-1444694687_thumb.jpg

I have quite a few micro slides. A lot of the conodonts are a byproduct of using acetic acid to dissolve limestone when searching for Paleozoic shark teeth. Conodonts and teeth are both calcium phosphate so they have similar inert reaction to this acid.

Photos not the best...just holding IPhone camera up to microscope lens. This is a random sample. No particular order.

post-19254-0-38759500-1444701635_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-28865500-1444701650_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-57246900-1444701666_thumb.jpg

post-19254-0-51062000-1444701682_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ridgehiker

really nice specimens canadawest.

really nice specimens canadawest.

Thanks. It's nice to know there are others who appreciate this 'other' world of microfossils. I like your scolecodonts...I've never collected one or, if I have, never recognized it.

Edited by Ridgehiker

I would think you could find some in the Devonian matrix you have canadawest. Scolecodonts are composed of a nitrogenous poly saccaride, like insect bodies and should survive mild acetic acid. If you have some clay from the interbeds from the site try washing it and sieving the residue.