A Special One On Cretaceous Echs

MOROPUS

I`ve got this echs for a looong time, and I think I haven`t got the right ID, because it is not my field.They come from the middle Cretaceous of Northern Burgos region.

The first one, I id it as Globator Is it correct?

post-62-1211967933_thumb.jpgpost-62-1211967963_thumb.jpg

The second one as Cottaldia Benettiae (again, is it correct?)

post-62-1211968050_thumb.jpg

And the last one, I`ve got serious doubts, due to the conservation of it.I have temporarily called Porosoma Cribrum?

post-62-1211968152_thumb.jpg

post-62-1211968179_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance!!!! :P

Morophus:

Yes, you are correct that the first (irregular) echinoid is Globator. I am uncertain what species that it is. It is very similar to Globator parryi (Hall, 1857) from the Albian of Texas. The second echinoid (regular) is not Cottaldia benettiae, as your photograph clearly shows the specimen to have single primary tubercles on each ambulacral and interambulacral plate. Cottaldia benettiae has multiple uniform tubercles on both the ambulacral and interambulacral plates. I cannot see the pore zones or the tubercles clear enough to provide much more information on it. Nor can I tell enough about the final regular echinoid, although it appears that it could be Phymosoma. Porosoma cribrum is an Eocene species.

Regards,

Mike

Morophus:

Yes, you are correct that the first (irregular) echinoid is Globator. I am uncertain what species that it is. It is very similar to Globator parryi (Hall, 1857) from the Albian of Texas. The second echinoid (regular) is not Cottaldia benettiae, as your photograph clearly shows the specimen to have single primary tubercles on each ambulacral and interambulacral plate. Cottaldia benettiae has multiple uniform tubercles on both the ambulacral and interambulacral plates. I cannot see the pore zones or the tubercles clear enough to provide much more information on it. Nor can I tell enough about the final regular echinoid, although it appears that it could be Phymosoma. Porosoma cribrum is an Eocene species.

Regards,

Mike

Hi all,

Mike is right, the first is a Globator and by its oval shape: G.ovulum and I realize it comes from the Coniacian or Santonian, higher is G.petrocoriensis that you can find more at North than Burgos, but it is campanian/Maastrichtian and with a more cylindrical shape.

Second need more photos, specially of the back, it seems a regular echinoid (like micropis s.l.) but should be also a bad preserved holectypoid.... periproct photo please...

Third, clean it with KOH and will se what type of phymosomatoid he are

:P