Could It Be A Baculites?

MOROPUS

I found this fossil just by luck.I was driving on a road, and I saw this big amounts of grey Cretaceous stones.They were going to construct a new comercial site there; so I just stop and took a look of about 2 hours.Nothing considerable, except for two or three minimun pieces of Brach, a lot of traces, a bit of a ech, and this strange thing.It was already cut.Inside the tube-form, there is a oval calcite remain, with another round calcite object.They are both piritezed,and this gives the stone a high weigh.

In some books I read that Baculites have an oval section cut.Could this be one? The matrix is quite hard, and have aswell tiny pirite cristals.How can I clean it?

post-62-1211968917_thumb.jpg

post-62-1211968935_thumb.jpg

Oh! By the way, if you can`t see it,I would put some water on it, and it would become easier to look at.Thanks

Sorry, but I can't help on this one but it's cool though. B)B)B):D

It's my bone!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We have lots of species of baculites in the Bearpaw Sea (Pierre) but I've never seen a preservation or a cross section like the one you show. But...baculites evolved various sizes and septa patterns over it's Cretaceous years. In our Cretaceous marine formations it is the index fossil used to date deposits.

I'm more inclined to see an ammonite that has been mostly replaced in nodule with sediment and crystal deposits....but that might just be from not looking at the photo in the right way.

Whatever it is...it's interesting...the 'puzzlers' are often the best fun.

How can I clean it , without knowing what it is? I have try to prepare it with my scriber, but there is a lot of matrix there! I was thinking on some soft chemicals.Can anybody help me? Is acetic acid suitable? Thanks

To my uneducated eye, on my lousy laptop screen, it's a concretion until proven otherwise.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Definitely don't use any acid. Acid works to clean bones and teeth (use only dilute acetic) or silicified fossils like the Permian brachiopods from the Glass Mountains in Texas. Anything made of calcite or aragonite will dissolve. You would have to be patient and pick away at it mechanically. I can't tell what you have from the photos, though.

Looking at it more carefully I am sure it is a fossil. A coiled shell, no sign of septa so I think it must be a gastropod.

Guest solius symbiosus

I was thinking the same thing. Some kind of tergomyid(?).

EDIT: Couldn't be that, They died out before the K

Archived