Arkona Devonian Star Shaped Fossil Object 1Mm:

pleecan

Doubtless the star-shaped fossil has been satisfactorily i.d'd by now, but it looks to me like a Bryozoan, spcifically Evactinopora radiata....just my two cents worth...

Thanks McDuff...

here is a link of star shaped bryozoans...

http://www.indiana9f...vactinopora.htm

Maybe it is a bryozoan!

I also notice that the younger the bryozoan ie smaller in size tend to have 5 arms and when they mature ie get bigger have mmore than 5 arms....

Edited by pleecan

Evactinopora is Carboniferous (Mississippian) age, Arkona is mid-Devonian (Givetian)

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I don't know.....has anyone ever seen one of those bryozoans detached like this?....and if so, was it so perfectly star shaped (and apparently all in one plane) like the item in the OP?

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Evactinopora is Carboniferous (Mississippian) age, Arkona is mid-Devonian (Givetian)

Maybe Evactinopora also existed in the Devonian.... case in point.... Soft bodied Cambrian material are now showing up in Silurian Lagerstattes so time eras are only a crude guide of what had already transpired as determined by the limited amout of data available at present...

• 3 years later...

Hi Peter

What you found is definitely a Sponge (Porifera) spicule named Gondekia hastula (Very Rare) from out of the Hungry Hollow member

I still see a crinoid section, and a tentaculites section.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks Guys for the response .. could it be part of Dactylocrinus?

http://fossils.valdosta.edu/lists/frameset_pages/home_lists_echino.html

nice site.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks