Chicago Pneumatics Cp710

TOM BUCKLEY

Hi fellow snow-bound fossil people. I hope everyone had an enjoyable Holiday Season.

Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of the Chicago Pneumatics CP170 air scribe? Even their website doesn't say much but I've seen it advertised for $61.00. At that price it's worth looking into. Thanks in advance.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

Tom, Did you mean the cp710 pneumatic engraving pen?. I've been using a Dremel variable speed electric engraver

that cost around $30.00. It comes with 2 tips and seems fine for medium hard rock where you don't have loads of material to remove. It will also hold 'custom' tips that you can grind out of old masonary drill bits. bad side is the vibration gets to you after about 20 min. of constant use.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Tom, Did you mean the cp710 pneumatic engraving pen?. I've been using a Dremel variable speed electric engraver

that cost around $30.00. It comes with 2 tips and seems fine for medium hard rock where you don't have loads of material to remove. It will also hold 'custom' tips that you can grind out of old masonary drill bits. bad side is the vibration gets to you after about 20 min. of constant use.

Oooops. You're correct. I meant CP710. I'll try to change my topic title.

I'm presently using a Dremel also and you're right.....after awhile the vibration makes my hand go numb. I also don't enjoy the play in the stylus. That's why I wanted to look into this inexpensive pneumatic substitute.

Tom

Edited by TOM BUCKLEY

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

It looks like a good tool. If you get it please post your thoughts about it.

It does appear that the pneumatic would be more accurate.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

• 2 weeks later...

I got it. I've been playing around with it tha last couple of days and so far I like it.

PROS

-- It's cheap.

-- Compared to a Dremel electric, the stylus does't "wander".

-- It's easier to hold than the Dremel.

-- It's cheap.

-- At 15,000 BPM It's twice as accurate and strong as the Dremel at 7,000 BPM.

-- It's quieter than the Dremel.

-- Doesn't get hot like the Dremel.

-- It's cheap.

-- It has a hole drilled in the collar parallel to the stylus that directs air toward the specimen and blows away the chips and dust.

CONS

-- Needs a compressor.

-- Unlike the Dremel, you're more or less stuck with the stylus you get. It's short, just like the Dremel stylus, and not nearly sharp enough. I was able to grind a sharper point but, for now, I'll have to live with their stylus because of it's design. It's just like all the styli for pneumatic engravers in that it has a base plate with holes in it so I can't just use 1/8" carbide rod and customize the length and tip to suit different situations.

-- The compressor turns on a few times / hour and mine is noisy.

At $61.00 it's well worth the investment.

Tom

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

Thanks Tom,

I think I'm gonna try it :)

• 6 years later...

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but I think its the most appropriate.  I am having trouble getting the Nib undone from my CP710.  I swear its getting harder to get through my Tumidocarcinus's so want to try the spare stylus that came with it.

I dont know what way to turn it, I have tried both with more force than I think should be necessary.  Holding it in my left hand, do I screw it counter-clockwise?

Also, is the entire stylus hardened or just the tip, the way mine wore out on the sides after the kids had been using it too horizontally implies its just a tip?