Campanian Marine Mystery

JohnJ

After inquiries with a few other members, I'm still trying to solve this ID. :D It is from a Texas marine strata - lower Campanian Upper Austin Division near the transition to the Taylor Group. It was possibly eroded to some degree in its paleo environment, but was found in-situ. The bryzoan makes a nice decoration on this 5.5" "twizzler". Thoughts?

post-420-0-59954000-1294681102_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Man, I hope it's a burrow fill... :unsure:

How was it oriented relative to the bedding plane?

Too cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Man, I hope it's a burrow fill... :unsure:

How was it oriented relative to the bedding plane?

Too cool!

It was in two pieces - one piece was parallel to the strata and the other was down-slope a couple feet. More photos:

post-420-0-67249200-1294682544_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-83420400-1294682558_thumb.jpg

What if...it's an urchin spine!? :o

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

What if...it's an urchin spine!? :o

That would be cool to find an urchin spine that big; but this is not one. :)

Well, that would be FOTM material!

resembles cylindracanthus rostrum, but i have only seen small pieces, no idea if they can get this large.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

now that's funny! :P

yeah, well smell isn't everything..... :unsure:

:P

• 6 years later...

John-

Did you ever get this identified? I was searching Cylindracanthus in the search engine and found this post. I'm fairly confident it is a fossil gorgonian. These are fairly common in the Eocene Castle Hayne Formation of North Carolina. Here are a couple illustrations. The first is from "An alcyonarian from the Eocene of Mississippi", the second from "Danian cold water corals from the Baunekule facies, Faxe Formation, Denmark: A rare taphonomic window of a coral mound flank habitat".

octocoral1.JPG

octocoral2.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

On 1/17/2017 at 7:59 AM, Al Dente said:

John-

Did you ever get this identified? I was searching Cylindracanthus in the search engine and found this post. I'm fairly confident it is a fossil gorgonian. These are fairly common in the Eocene Castle Hayne Formation of North Carolina. Here are a couple illustrations. The first is from "An alcyonarian from the Eocene of Mississippi", the second from "Danian cold water corals from the Baunekule facies, Faxe Formation, Denmark: A rare taphonomic window of a coral mound flank habitat".

Eric, sorry for the late reply.  Yes, I did eventually receive the suggestion this might be a late Cretaceous gorgonian.  The Eocene specimen in the diagram you posted is remarkably similar.  Thanks for the additional reference images.

Here are few quick images I put together yesterday.

gorgonian_profile_views.jpg

gorgonian end views.jpg

gorgonian detail views.jpg

@Al Dente

• I found this Informative 1

I would guess this is a rare find. 

Such a cool piece...thanks for the additional images.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg