Is It A Fossil?

ken

totally new at this! not sure but it has deffinate fetures .how can i find out?

Welcome Ken!

Post a picture and we'll have a go at it. Also very helpful if you include as much info as you can about where it came from.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Welcome Ken!

Post a picture and we'll have a go at it. Also very helpful if you include as much info as you can about where it came from.

trying to download photos.found it in keewenna bay,upper pynsla,michigan.years ago.

trying to download photos.found it in keewenna bay,upper pynsla,michigan.years ago.

figured out how to put the pictures up, here they are. thanks and hello by the way!

post-484-1212173271.jpg

post-484-1212173291_thumb.jpg

As I feared: what you have there appears to be an interesting rock.

(I was really hoping for a bird skull)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

As I feared: what you have there appears to be an interesting rock.

(I was really hoping for a bird skull)

Sorry.like i said its all new & interesting to me.Its just when it broke & i saw how this pattern went clear through the "rock" & has what would apper to be a partially open nasel cavity. From the apperant eye socket to the end of the "nose" . certianly it is interesting but....im not convinced its a rock. wish a pic would do it justice. Thanks again,still hunting ,Ken

That area is Pre-Cambrian. There is no way it is a skull.

correct me if i am wrong.Life starts some where! I found it on the shores of Lk.Superior. wasent that area & its lakes formed by glaciers. arent they notorious for carrying things?any way in my life time ive learned anything is possible. And that friends is absolute! Im taking it to the local college prof. ill let you guys know. i mean what the heck! its worth going all the way right. any wayim learning and thats good!!

Guest solius symbiosus
correct me if i am wrong.Life starts some where! I found it on the shores of Lk.Superior. wasent that area & its lakes formed by glaciers. arent they notorious for carrying things?any way in my life time ive learned anything is possible. And that friends is absolute! Im taking it to the local college prof. ill let you guys know. i mean what the heck! its worth going all the way right. any wayim learning and thats good!!

Life did start in the PreCambrian, but Vertebrates didn't make their presence known until the Ordovician(Ostracaderms), and terrestrial vert life didn't evolve until the Devonian(amphibians).

You are correct in that it could have been carried there by the ice sheets, but it is not Pleistocene. Notice the quartz veins. They are probably tensile in origin. So the rock was stretched(or some kind of tectonic activity cracked the rock), then fluids deposited the secondary mineral.

I am not familiar with the area. See if you can find a pic of the stuff that makes up some of the great Keewatin ore deposits of that area.

Life did start in the PreCambrian, but Vertebrates didn't make their presence known until the Ordovician(Ostracaderms), and terrestrial vert life didn't evolve until the Devonian(amphibians).

You are correct in that it could have been carried there by the ice sheets, but it is not Pleistocene. Notice the quartz veins. They are probably tensile in origin. So the rock was stretched(or some kind of tectonic activity cracked the rock), then fluids deposited the secondary mineral.

I am not familiar with the area. See if you can find a pic of the stuff that makes up some of the great Keewatin ore deposits of that area.

I will, thanks for the info.That actully makes more sense to me.

some of these guys make me feel like such a newbie.

I like being able to consult them so easily though :)

some of these guys make me feel like such a newbie.

I like being able to consult them so easily though :)

I am such a newbie. Your right. I come across some interesing rocks when were in the U.P. i really needed the consult. and all is appreciated.

I agree with S.S. The rock is probably of precambrian origin. There aren't really any good 'skulls' per se until the rise of amniotes, during the middle Paleozoic.

However, if you're on the U.P., definitely keep an eye out for ice age fossils - bison, mammoth, horse, etc. They should be there.