My Collection- Mainly Megalodons

big2th

A mere bag of shells ... I certainly identify with you! ;)

When is trip 330 scheduled ... time for a new showcase! B)

I'm trying to hold off on adding another case! The phosphate mine has been closed since the spring of 2009. We're hoping that it reopens this fall, hence trip #330 there is on an indefinite hold. :unsure:

Your fantastic collection of megalodon teeth never ceases to amaze me and as others have already pointed out the most amazing thing is that you found so many of the best specimens yourself. Your collection is really an inspiration for me. Hope you will be able to accomplish your 330+ visit at the LC mine and find another fantastic specimen to show here.

BTW, you mako looks larger every time a take a look at it...:-)

Your fantastic collection of megalodon teeth never ceases to amaze me and as others have already pointed out the most amazing thing is that you found so many of the best specimens yourself. Your collection is really an inspiration for me. Hope you will be able to accomplish your 330+ visit at the LC mine and find another fantastic specimen to show here.

BTW, you mako looks larger every time a take a look at it...:-)

Thanks Peter. You have a wonderful collection yourself AND the God-given talents of a master photographer to do your fossils' images justice!

O-M-G. You really go all out with the sharkies! Thats a very impressive display! Save some for other people too! XD

O-M-G. You really go all out with the sharkies! Thats a very impressive display! Save some for other people too! XD

Hi Larsa! Thanks for the kind words. Now you know why I use the nickname big2th as megalodons are my favorite fossils. It was also a pleasure talking to you on chat. Best wishes!

• 1 month later...

The 6.51" Aurora meg is close to being my favorite, but it is a difficult choice. I'll try to attach a single shot and also add a link to the Photobucket site of the Chilean megs. Let me know if this works better for you (see below). THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR KIND WORDS!

http://s632.photobuc...on011511024.jpg

What a wonderful set of Chilean teeth! Can you tell me how thick is the one of the center?

What a wonderful set of Chilean teeth! Can you tell me how thick is the one of the center?

Thank you very much. The one in the center (the pathological one) measures 1.398" thick. Of the five in this picture, the one on the front right is actually the thickest at 1.488". The two in the back and are 6.7" in length each or slightly larger. The one in the center is about 6.6" long. I'll take a better photo of any of them if you'd like individual views. Best wishes!

The photo's say it all :o :drooling 38: :goodjob: :bow:

Thank you VERY much! It represents a LOT of years of collecting. As anyone who shares this great hobby knows, hundreds of futile trips are hidden behind every great find on display.

Thank you VERY much! It represents a LOT of years of collecting. As anyone who shares this great hobby knows, hundreds of futile trips are hidden behind every great find on display.

Yep, I admire your persistence as much as your collection!

It's an inspiration to see what dedication can produce.

"There is no difference between Zen and Purgatory and Time Warner Cable, and they are trying to tach me this, but I am a dim impatient pupil."

----- xonenine

Thank you very much. The one in the center (the pathological one) measures 1.398" thick. Of the five in this picture, the one on the front right is actually the thickest at 1.488". The two in the back and are 6.7" in length each or slightly larger. The one in the center is about 6.6" long. I'll take a better photo of any of them if you'd like individual views. Best wishes!

Of course, I would love to look at more photos of the center one. I also would like to know from where is the large brown tooth that you have in the other photos (Is from Peru)? do you have more photos?

Thanks, lf

Of course, I would love to look at more photos of the center one. I also would like to know from where is the large brown tooth that you have in the other photos (Is from Peru)? do you have more photos?

Thanks, lf

Hello, I am talking about the brown tooth (and the one of the first row with white root) of the photo: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/gallery/image/14488-fossil-collection-011511-026jpg/

I would love if you can show more photos of these two teeth. Thanks, lf

Hello, IF it is possible, I also would like to know more information and photos of the two the brown teeth of the photo: http://www.thefossil...-011511-026jpg/

Thanks, lf

Hello, IF it is possible, I also would like to know more information and photos of the two the brown teeth of the photo: http://www.thefossil...-011511-026jpg/

Thanks, lf

Per your request, I created a new album of the two teeth. The "brown with white root" megalodon to which you refer is from Peru. You may view them both in greater detail by following this link http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/gallery/album/1466/1085-pictures-of-two-megalodons-by-request/

Let me know if you have any additional questions or requests.

Edited by big2th

Your megalodon assortment is certainly amazing but the diversity of your collection is at least equally impressive with all of it beautifully displayed. I really liked your group of ray tooth plates. Where are they from? I know how rare it is to find even two teeth still connected.

Are those crabs self-collected as well? Where are those from?

Thank you very much. 95% of my total collection consists of specimens that I found personally. God has blessed me.

Your megalodon assortment is certainly amazing but the diversity of your collection is at least equally impressive with all of it beautifully displayed. I really liked your group of ray tooth plates. Where are they from? I know how rare it is to find even two teeth still connected.

Are those crabs self-collected as well? Where are those from?

Thank you very much for your kind words. As far as the ray teeth and crabs, it depends upon which pictures you are referring to as to where they are from. Most everything is displayed by location. If you are referencing the picture with the crabs, ray plates, croc tooth, etc., (http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/gallery/image/14485-fossil-collection-011511-023jpg/) those are all from Virginia and I did collect each of them personally. I also have stingray mouth plates from South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland, and Chile. I have a fossil crab from Morocco, but I did not find that one personally (obtained it in a fossil trade). My collection represents over 35 years of passion. Behind every specimen on display are dozens of trips that weren't so successful. As anyone who enjoys the hobby can tell you, it takes a true love, conviction, and God's blessing to have the good health to pursue it. Best wishes!

post-1466-0-69509400-1300058549_thumb.jpg

Edited by big2th

Yes, that is the photo I was referring too.

I know what you mean about coming up empty in the field sometimes. I found nothing one day hunting Late Cretaceous vertebrates in the Hell Creek Fm. of Montana and got skunked again looking for sea urchins in California (the next trip I found a nice, big one for the site).

I hope to have at least 35 years of collecting under my belt someday - still over 10 years to go.

Thank you very much for your kind words. As far as the ray teeth and crabs, it depends upon which pictures you are referring to as to where they are from. Most everything is displayed by location. If you are referencing the picture with the crabs, ray plates, croc tooth, etc., (http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/gallery/image/14485-fossil-collection-011511-023jpg/) those are all from Virginia and I did collect each of them personally. I also have stingray mouth plates from South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland, and Chile. I have a fossil crab from Morocco, but I did not find that one personally (obtained it in a fossil trade). My collection represents over 35 years of passion. Behind every specimen on display are dozens of trips that weren't so successful. As anyone who enjoys the hobby can tell you, it takes a true love, conviction, and God's blessing to have the good health to pursue it. Best wishes!

Yes, that is the photo I was referring too.

I know what you mean about coming up empty in the field sometimes. I found nothing one day hunting Late Cretaceous vertebrates in the Hell Creek Fm. of Montana and got skunked again looking for sea urchins in California (the next trip I found a nice, big one for the site).

I hope to have at least 35 years of collecting under my belt someday - still over 10 years to go.

I have found that perserverance and determination will take you far (along with lots of faith and staying humble). Regardless of experience, we are all able to learn something new every day. I'm happy to hear that your subsequent efforts were rewarded! May you enjoy many fruitful collecting trips to help you appreciate the blessings to offset the empty-handed ones. The latter still provides great exercise and the ability to see the beauty of nature. Best wishes!

Edited by big2th

Your collection is outstanding! I always love seeing the teeth you own. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Your collection is outstanding! I always love seeing the teeth you own. :D

You are too kind! Thanks Tera. I hope that you and your daughter are doing well. Best wishes.

You are too kind! Thanks Tera. I hope that you and your daughter are doing well. Best wishes.

Were doing great thanks. I hope you and yours are doing well to.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thank you very much. 95% of my total collection consists of specimens that I found personally. God has blessed me.

wow really nice, even better since you found it.