More Stuff!

RJB

I went to my 20 acres to get some building material for our house here on our 1 acre, but while I was there, my youngest son and I also looked through a bunch of boxes for some certain fossils. Its always a chore to try and find something becuase I have sooooooo much fossil snarge!!! Poor me right... anyways, I found these blastoid things and have no idea where they come from. I bought a bunch of boxes of stuff from a guy going out of buisness at a rockshop in Eureka California. I also found another lobster concretion still wrapped up in newspaper from 1972 that I also got from this guy. But once home, it turned out to be a real piece of you know what!!! But while looking for stuff I came across this lttle paper bag in a box and didnt remember what the heck it was? It was my rabbit skull from the white river formation that ive wondered about for 3 years or so now!!! Its not quite as nice as I thought it was, but now im wondering what other parts might be inside the rock? It was almost like christmas in springtime! here are some photos.

RB

post-171-1212188957_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212188999_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212189033_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212189067_thumb.jpg

post-171-1212189206_thumb.jpg

I went to my 20 acres to get some building material for our house here on our 1 acre, but while I was there, my youngest son and I also looked through a bunch of boxes for some certain fossils. Its always a chore to try and find something becuase I have sooooooo much fossil snarge!!! Poor me right... anyways, I found these blastoid things and have no idea where they come from. I bought a bunch of boxes of stuff from a guy going out of buisness at a rockshop in Eureka California. I also found another lobster concretion still wrapped up in newspaper from 1972 that I also got from this guy. But once home, it turned out to be a real piece of you know what!!! But while looking for stuff I came across this lttle paper bag in a box and didnt remember what the heck it was? It was my rabbit skull from the white river formation that ive wondered about for 3 years or so now!!! Its not quite as nice as I thought it was, but now im wondering what other parts might be inside the rock? It was almost like christmas in springtime! here are some photos.

RB

Wow, nice to find great looking fossils again! I like the blastoid in the matrix"very cool" The other ones are very clean looking specimens!

Are you going to try and get the rabbit skull out of its cage? :)

Looks like there may be a lot of stuff with that skull; get the air scribe fired up!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey fella's. I am going to go on the prep attack with that skull, but im running super low of Bicarb so I have to order some more, thats gunna take a little while.

RB

Guest N.AL.hunter

Those are the biggest Blastoids I have seen in a long, long time. In another post, I had mentioned that when I was very young, large blastoids like that were for sale at the local Gem & Mineral show here each year. But I have not seen large ones like that in over 30 years. Wow!! And one species you have I have never seen before.

HAH! Rabbit skull not quite as nice as you thought... that thing is positively beautiful! Prep that sucker out, man!

RB:

Those are some really nice blastoid specimens. Regarding the i.d. of the three blastoids, the specimen with the star-like shape is Timoroblastus coronatus Wanner from the upper Permian of the Balseo area of Indonesia. I am not sure which subspecies is represented, however. Apparently, Timoroblastus was stemless and developed a sedentary mode of living. The first blastoid appears to be Pentremites mccalliei, a large blastoid found in the upper Mississippian (Chesterian) of the Appalachian region. The 2 specimens that I have are from the Mauch Chunk Formation near Princeton, West Virginia. The other blastoid appears to be Pentremites obesus Lyon, 1851, a large upper Mississippian (Chesterian) blastoid from the upper Mississippi Valley region, possibly from the Beech Creek Formation near Hecker, Illinois or from the Pennington Formation in Tennessee.

I remember that once upon a time there were some large Pentremites blastoids cpming out of the Mississippian of Alabama as well. I don't remember what species or formation, however.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks alot of guys, especialy Mike. That was a lot of information you spit out! Thanks a ton. I have no idea how long those fossils were sitten around in the back of this guys shop, but when he went out of buisness, every box was 2 bucks!!! so I bought about 25 boxes. There are also some very large crinoid bulb thingys in this box too. It really was some of the easiest fossil hunting ive ever done. But getting 10 big boxes of lobster concs was a dream come true!!! This guy did lots and lots of fossil hunting in the late 60's and most of the 70's.

RB

Guest N.AL.hunter

An echinoderm like a crinoid. Lived in the water, usually on some type of 'stem' or 'stalk'. Had the main structure/body that gets fossilized (see pictures above) and had small 'arms'/tentacles that waved in the water and gathered food. Finding one with its stem/stalk is rare.

Thats funny Cody. I just asked the same question about a week ago,,, then I go to my fossil shed and run into these that I had no idea that I even had them! I wonder what else I would find if I went through all my boxes of stuff?

RB

Ok i know im gonna sound stupid, but whats a "blastoid"?

Hey Ron,

that reminds me - I'll shoot you an email with some pictures later, but I finished preparing the fur seal jaw you collected years ago at Scotia - I prepped it today with an air-abrasive. Let me just say... wow. It is gorgeous. Simply gorgeous. And of course, extremely important. I'll try and prep out the tooth sockets on one of the jaws in the double-mandible rock with the air-abrasive at Museum of the Rockies tommorrow.

Ron you Blastoid! awesome stuff! seems like i have been missing some great posts! im glad to be back and to see some more of your awesome collection! :)

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Ron you Blastoid! awesome stuff! seems like i have been missing some great posts! im glad to be back and to see some more of your awesome collection! :)

Thanks Kauffy. Where in tarnation have you been?

RB