cck

Triassic Virginia

cck

Anyone else out there trolling the virginia basins for triassic stuff? Haven't found much, but I have a feeling there's plenty to be had with research and leg work.

Fossildude19

CCK,

Although I haven't searched VA,, I have come across mention of it in research for the Newark Supergroup and Triassic/Jurassic rift basins in Connecticut.

Found this link .

If you haven't already, You could try googling the VA. Basin names, and see what comes up - it may lead you in the right direction.

I would also suggest checking with your State DEP/Local university geological depts. to see if you can get any Field trip guides, to point the way to some productive spots.

Hope this helps. I apologize if it's redundant to you.

Best of luck!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

piranha

Anyone else out there trolling the virginia basins for triassic stuff? Haven't found much, but I have a feeling there's plenty to be had with research and leg work.

Hi CCK,

Try this LINK listing numerous Triassic fossil collecting sites in Virginia. This is a great resource sorted by county and identifies the fossil types of greatest interest. Scroll to the right for the GPS coordinates. Even if you don't have a navigation device there are free online GPS visualizers that can be utilized for a printout. Here's another great LINK of Earth science and mineral clubs in Virginia. Networking with folks like you're doing here will give you the best results and hopefully eliminate any 'dud' outings for you. Always try to verify that the site you're going to is accessible and productive for collecting especially if you have to do a lot of traveling to get there.

I counted close to twenty Triassic fossil localities in Virginia. I'd be after the plants - what looks good for you?

Good Luck and please post any photos or updates of your success! :)

cck

Thanks guys for your replies and support. I live on the western edge of the basin near culpeper. Our local gravel comes from the quarry in Stevensburg where they found all the prints. I'm currently after fish. The fish bed at Midland is now under water (ironically) I did find one scale. My trips to the Richmond and Taylorsville basins served as a reminder of how long ago some of the sites I'm looking for were first written up. The Tetrapod Quarry ( supposedly on a lonely gravel road in Midlothian) is mostly covered by soccer fields and a gated apartment complex on a very busy paved road. The exposures are no longer there. I did bring home some plant material from the Taylorsville. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo-its mostly dis-articulated leaves and leaf parts. I guess I was reaching out to see if anyone else is doing what I'm trying to do locally. The frustrating thing is that there are plenty of exposures where everything is right EXCEPT the presence of fossil material (or at least good specimens) especially when the old feild trip reports say that the goods are "abundant". Anyway, thanks again guys for the links and encouragement. I'll keep you updated.

One note on the plants in the pic- the actual leaf itself is preserved as a film on the rock. You can lift it off with tweezers. Pretty cool.

post-3545-0-11341000-1295398602_thumb.jpg

piranha

I guess I was reaching out to see if anyone else is doing what I'm trying to do locally. The frustrating thing is that there are plenty of exposures where everything is right EXCEPT the presence of fossil material (or at least good specimens) especially when the old feild trip reports say that the goods are "abundant". Anyway, thanks again guys for the links and encouragement. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for the great photo CCK. I don't envy the position of not knowing and counting on the generosity of others to 'show' their favorite fossil fishing hole. There were a few promising links for Virginia Earth science clubs. Are they active or close by? Those get-togethers can be promising especially at the real meeting when the club gathers up at the local pub after regular business is adjourned. Another possibility could be the geology/paleo faculty at the appropriate museum or university. They're generally receptive to amateurs doing some free grunt work in exchange for the priceless locality data.

Worth a try anyway, hope you find productive digs .... I'd love to see more plants and the fishies too! B)

JimB88

I hope your successful in your hunts! Do not try to remove the carbon films, just preserve them on the matrix.

Fossildude19

CCK,

Sorry. Sounds like it's going to be a challenge for you to find fish.:unsure:

I know that a long time ago, (Late 1800's, Early 1900's?) some work was done here in CT by some famous collectors, who were succesfully able to predict where some of the fossiliferous exposures would outcrop, based on the location of previously found sites.

You may have resort to stratigraphy, and good old fashioned grunt work to discover some new outcrops/exposures for yourself.

Wish I could be more helpful. I haven't seen/noticed anyone here who has been collecting that sort of material from your area.

Flyguy784 is into Triassic stuff, but, I'm not sure if he has been down to VA for that sort of thing.

Best of luck in your searching.

Regards,

richardfulton

Interestingly, coal from the Triassic in Virginia was used to power the C.S.S. Virginia towards Hampton Roads and the historic fight with the U.S.S. Monitor.

jpc

Have you tried the Solite Quarry on the VA/NC state line? I was there ten years ago and found plants. There supposedly fish and reptiles to be found, and I saw a post here recently that suggests that it is no longer available to fossilers. But don't give up.

Sasquatch

Try this LINK listing numerous Triassic fossil collecting sites in Virginia.

Reviving an old thread I suppose. Is there any way you might know of a new/different link for that? It won't work for me and I can't find anything like it with Google.

Edit: I did find this, which near the end points out a few areas of interest around Farmville Virginia. It includes Breccia and Shale outcrops, think they might be productive? The shale they mention is in road cuts though.

Edited by Sasquatch

morgansilk

I am working on finding same and have some old-timers who might take me there but not tell me how to get there myself. Will update when the chiggers are done.

cck

Hey Morgansilk- let me know if you find out anything interesting that you'd like to share.

Fossildude19

Updated LINK for the Donald Kenney Fossil Locality page on Virginia - Remember most info is very old, and may no longer be relevant.

I suggest copying the info into a spreadsheet, as this site and the Fossilsites list (nearly identical info) are spotty on availability, and the Fossilsites page may be gone entirely.

Regards,

EDIT: LINK to the State Index Page.

Edited by Fossildude19