My Favorite Piece

jax

I have had this for a while, but I haven't shown anyone. The matrix its about 5x3. The ptychodus are a bonus. When I was digging out this rock layer, everytime I would split the upper layer off the good stuff it was like christmas. I have a plate that is 2.5 ft by 1.5 ft that has about 100 or more teeth in it, and its heavy. The formation this was found is Eagle Ford, in Kamp Ranch limestone.

Justin

post-221-1212208033_thumb.jpg

OOOOH, that is good looking! I'd love to look at the li'l bits & pieces in the matrix under a microscope.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I dont know my teeth from a hole in the ground, but with soooooo many teeth, why isnt there any jawbone or any other bone material in that rock? Just wondering. Dang cool though!

RB

I have never really seen any bones in this formation. (Kamp Ranch) Verts and thats about it, for me anyways. From what I was told this formation was put down after a hurrican a long time ago, and the sediment layer is what the teeth are found in. If you look hard at this piece or saw others from this form, you would realize something stired it up. A lot of broken teeth. As for the clumped up teeth, I have a plate that I pulled out with this piece that is about 2.5 feet by 1.5 ft that has 100 or more teeth on it. It was a great site until the covered it up :(