Show Us Your Shark Tooth Collections ... and How You Display Them

Megalodon Man

A lot of my collection is still in boxes and containers, but I keep a lot of my teeth in display drawers from an old etymology-cabinet. The dentitions are in riker mounts and a wooden display case. It's mostly matrix pieces and vertebrae in boxes, neither of which would fit. I keep the smaller teeth in zipolock bags.

I'd really like to be able to read some of those labels (locations,etc.)

Any in particular?

THobern:

Tough to be specific as a lot of very nice teeth are shown in the photos. Maybe either of the two bottom row cases with the large meg

teeth. Also I'm guessing the incomplete megs are likely from some interesting/rare locations.

Bottom line: I'm sure fossil shark collectors would appreciate any specific info which you want to take the time to provide.

FS

Here are some closer photos; the labels should be visible. A lot of the labels are stop-gaps - I plan on being more specific with the ages when I get a chance to research the formations. The broken megs are from Ecuador, Austria and Georgia (my first meg I keep for sentimental reasons). If you're interested in more information about anything specific, just ask.

post-1261-0-77216100-1299439971_thumb.jpg

post-1261-0-89265700-1299440019_thumb.jpg

Here are some closer photos; the labels should be visible. A lot of the labels are stop-gaps - I plan on being more specific with the ages when I get a chance to research the formations. The broken megs are from Ecuador, Austria and Georgia (my first meg I keep for sentimental reasons). If you're interested in more information about anything specific, just ask.

THobern:

Thanks for the close-up pics. With 1 or 2 exceptions all the labels are easily read. You have an excellent selection of megs from some

most unusual locations. I think the ones from Ecuador, Portugal, and Austria were the first I've ever seen. Kelly did a nice job on that meg from Germany. Thanks again.

FS

THobern,

Thanks for the closer shots of the labels. There is no Mulberry County in Florida but there is the town of Mulberry in Polk County, Florida and that is the heart of "Bone Valley." I'm glad I had a couple of chances to collect out there before the mines outlawed collecting. I live in California but I found my first complete meg near that town.

In case you don't know, there is an article, Longbottom, 1979, that notes Miocene shark teeth from Ecuador:

Longbottom, A.E. 1979.

Miocene sharks' teeth from Ecuador. Bull. Br. Mus. nat. Hist. (Geol.) 32(1): 57-70.

THobern,

Thanks for the closer shots of the labels. There is no Mulberry County in Florida but there is the town of Mulberry in Polk County, Florida and that is the heart of "Bone Valley." I'm glad I had a couple of chances to collect out there before the mines outlawed collecting. I live in California but I found my first complete meg near that town.

In case you don't know, there is an article, Longbottom, 1979, that notes Miocene shark teeth from Ecuador:

Longbottom, A.E. 1979.

Miocene sharks' teeth from Ecuador. Bull. Br. Mus. nat. Hist. (Geol.) 32(1): 57-70.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll change accordingly.

Like you, almost all my shark teeth are in boxes. I have noticed over the past 10-15 years that a lot of collectors assemble collections in Riker Mounts or similar frames as shown in this thread. I like the idea of having a frame of tigers, for example, from a particular site or general locality. I've seen some collectors make a frame of their best-preserved/favorite makos from different sites and different parts of the world. In that case it's important to keep the site info with them. I know some people think the labels clutter the case but then each tooth should have a number with that number corresponding to particular site info listed on the back of the case or in a notebook/file. It's a shame when someone shows off a case of nice teeth but no longer recalls where one or more of the teeth were collected.

A few years ago at Tucson, a collector was showing off some almost exclusively high quality great whites that he had bought over time. One tooth was incomplete and rather worn. He said that was the one he found himself. I thought that was great.

Have you been able to find any fossil shark teeth in Australia? Teeth used to come out of the Portland (Victoria) area but I haven't seen any for sale/trade in a while.

I like that you note the original collector whenever possible. I have a few teeth that have passed through the collections of at least two people and I should make similar labels for those to reflect that.

A lot of my collection is still in boxes and containers, but I keep a lot of my teeth in display drawers from an old etymology-cabinet. The dentitions are in riker mounts and a wooden display case. It's mostly matrix pieces and vertebrae in boxes, neither of which would fit. I keep the smaller teeth in zipolock bags.

• 7 months later...

25+ lbs of broken teeth and misc. bone -

post-2469-0-36460500-1296072369_thumb.jpg

Little display in the dorm -

post-2469-0-82980600-1296072411_thumb.jpg

...and thats about all!

Happy hunting!

CBK

Holy Cow!!! Now that I've seen your collection I don't think my little ditch would have anything to offer!!! AMAZING!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I display the sharkteeth that I like the most (and some other fossils) in a showcase.

post-6809-0-78156900-1321195620_thumb.jpg

I also have a typecase that's very handy for smaller fossils. I keep most of our personal finds in there.

post-6809-0-01689500-1321195632_thumb.jpg

Regards, Fabienne.

post-6809-0-45681200-1321195653_thumb.jpg

Quit a nice showing, Fabienne!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've only been collecting these since early 2010. I don't have my lower quality ones in cases yet, the ones here are the better ones. I am just using riker cases.

My biggest and best cuvier:

P1160006.jpg

Best requim:

P1160020.jpg

Crow:

P1160018.jpg

Cow:

P1160013.jpg

GMR Great White:

P1160009.jpg

GMR Mako:

P1160008.jpg

Hemi:

P1160021.jpg

Broken or very worn. I stopped bringing these kind of teeth home awhile back:

PB230001.jpg

I have not found a perfect meg yet:

P1210001.jpg

Some Aurora tigers. I quit saving these though:

P1160019-1.jpg

AUrora Makos and sand tigers:

P1160024-1.jpg

Pathological and teeth in matrix:

P1160004.jpg

P1210002.jpg

Wow. Just... just wow.

SANY0022.JPG

SANY0014.JPG

IMG_1702.JPG

Above is a picture of some jumbled fossils pre-sorted... below is my collection during the organization process...

SANY0025.JPG

I can't really display these in my home, as I live in a household with a young Autistic boy, and he simply can't be expected not to handle these things, pull display cases off the wall, etc. But I did set up a website where I am attempting to catalog them, and I guess that's sort of my surrogate display method.

http://northtexasmicrofossils.blogspot.com/

SANY0022.JPG

SANY0014.JPG

The specimen boxes are a nice treatment; all labeled, too!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 months later...

Wow. I cant believe all the shark teeth everyone has. Are any left to be found? :) Looks like some collectors have been doing it for a long time.

• 1 month later...

Great collections! I don't have many shark teeth myself, but I keep mine in small bags.

I almost don't want to post mine... You all have AMAZING collections!!!

We just recently moved and we are in the process of rebuilding our "fossil room". I ran across something and thought it would work perfectly for holding riker mounts... turns out it did! It's a display stand for carpet swatches from a carpet store. I repainted it black so that it wouldn't take away from the fossils... I only show this in case anyone else needs a way to display their rikers... Future plans include my christmas present from Angela... a new set of map drawers!! woohoo!!! :meg dance: :Bananasaur:

We have been traveling so we haven't had a chance to finish our display room. And the recent find of our partial Squalodon skeleton will fit perfectly into our plans... I will have to repost some pics when we finish the prep job and our new room... until then...

my display 1

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

~Sir Winston Churchill

I almost don't want to post mine... You all have AMAZING collections!!!

We just recently moved and we are in the process of rebuilding our "fossil room". I ran across something and thought it would work perfectly for holding riker mounts... turns out it did! It's a display stand for carpet swatches from a carpet store. I repainted it black so that it wouldn't take away from the fossils... I only show this in case anyone else needs a way to display their rikers... Future plans include my christmas present from Angela... a new set of map drawers!! woohoo!!! :meg dance: :Bananasaur:

We have been traveling so we haven't had a chance to finish our display room. And the recent find of our partial Squalodon skeleton will fit perfectly into our plans... I will have to repost some pics when we finish the prep job and our new room... until then...

Great display, clever idea. You have a beautiful collection.