Martha's Vineyard Shark's Teeth

steelhead9

Martha's Vineyard Megs?! Wow!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Never heard of teeth from there before now. I like the silver/black 2 tone effect. For anybody that didn't know, the original Jaws was filmed on Martha's Vineyard. Duuuuuuh-dum, duuuuuuuh-dum

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Awesome finds and great color. Congrats, now go find more!. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Awesome finds and great color. Congrats, now go find more!. :D

The government deeded much of the land in Gay Head (now politically correctly called Aquinnah) to the Wampanoag Indians about 10 years ago. The fossil beds were part of the deal and have been totally shut down. Another one bites the dust! There still is one other location, but the sediment is heavy gravel (the small white teeth come from there). Anything over 2" is worn to a nub. I have found meg remnants there, but never anything resembling a whole tooth.

I have wondered if anyone was still finding sites out there. Years ago, a friend sent me a copy of this article:

Sanford, S.N.F. 1934.

Fossils of Colorful Gay Head. Bulletin of the Boston Society of Natural History. Number 71. April 1934.

The front of the issue shows a megalodon from there. The article mentions that the "Gay Head Indians" were aware of the commercial value of the fossils back then and watched for stuff eroding out, selling specimens to visitors.

The government deeded much of the land in Gay Head (now politically correctly called Aquinnah) to the Wampanoag Indians about 10 years ago. The fossil beds were part of the deal and have been totally shut down. Another one bites the dust! There still is one other location, but the sediment is heavy gravel (the small white teeth come from there). Anything over 2" is worn to a nub. I have found meg remnants there, but never anything resembling a whole tooth.

Wow, and I always thought the closest Megs to me were in Maryland. Now I know its a short swim northeast of Montauk :P Looking at a map I would have thought Martha's Vinyard (and Block Island) would be part of the same terminal moraigne as Long Island. What is the geology there?

Never heard of teeth from there before now. I like the silver/black 2 tone effect. For anybody that didn't know, the original Jaws was filmed on Martha's Vineyard. Duuuuuuh-dum, duuuuuuuh-dum

Yup... kids I knew in high school were extras in it... regular beach goers on beach scenes. As a Mass native who got into fossils well after leaving Mass, I knew there were fossils at Gay Head, but never made it down there tocheck it out. Are these from Gay Head?

Ooh, I just read the rest of the thread... sounds like they are Gay Head finds.

Edited by jpc

• 3 weeks later...

Love the colors on those teeth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They sort of remind me of the colors on Cuban teeth.....

Edited by iamsharky

Miocene/Eocene

Wow, great finds! I didnt realize you could find them  that far north. So then it stands to reason I could find some in NJ?

2 hours ago, exasperatus2002 said:

Wow, great finds! I didnt realize you could find them  that far north. So then it stands to reason I could find some in NJ?

This was posted in 2011. Most (but not all) of the members on this string are not as active as in the olden days. Megalodon from New Jersey can happen if someone drops one out of their pocket, or loses their belt buckle meg. Otherwise head down south like Shark River and you might be able to find a Chubensis which I believe has been found somewhere in the Garden State.

All this talk of being politically correct and you are still calling the native tribes "Indians". ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

All this talk of being politically correct and you are still calling the native tribes "Indians". ;)

That was way back in the not so P.C. days of 2011, to be fair. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

@Siteseer was quoting a 1934 article when he used that term. 1934 certainly predates our latest round of PCness.

On 3/5/2019 at 3:14 PM, Scylla said:

@Siteseer was quoting a 1934 article when he used that term. 1934 certainly predates our latest round of PCness.

He might have been referring to Steelhead9's post but thanks for the back-up.  I did put the term in quotation marks.