Did Comets Cause Ancient American Extinctions?

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

An interesting hypothesis, I've been following related articles about this for a while now. Ever since that find of Mammoth remains with cosmic materials stuck in the tusks and the bones too I believe. I'd like to hear everyones input.

Find the link here!

Personally, I'm not ready to buy into this theory yet. I think there was a thread on this; I'll look for it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It was a discussion on PALEOLIST;

Here's what started it:

http://ie.lbl.gov/mammoth/impact.html

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I don't have an opinion on the impact one way or another, but doesn't the argument against it based on lack of human population decline seem a bit shakey, since we don't really know the human population in North America at that time? Or if there was any? I suspect his comments may have been taken a bit out of context. Seem odd to anybody else?

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Another article link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7130014.stm

As I revisit the "theory", I grow more skeptical. Be wary of using extraordinary events to explain "evidence" when simpler thinking will do.

Guest Nicholas

I myself am not all into this theory, I actually find the evidence very lacking. Although I so see a "method in this madness" if you will... I enjoy following underdog theories and watching how science approaches and tests them. I will enjoy any other links you may have to offer on the subject. Just because a theory is weak or even perhaps wrong doesn't mean it is worthless even in an intellectual sense.

Indeed, prying open the mind with unlikely discourse can blow the dusty cobwebs out and illuminate new thought paths. Applying novel thoughts to old ideas, and vice-versa, can lead you in surprising directions.

This is one of my favorite benefits of the Forum.

Guest Nicholas
This is one of my favorite benefits of the Forum.

I do not think anyone will disagree in that regard.