Ptychodus

jax

Im just wondering who and where else people are finding these teeth?? I would be intrested in the size and colors and the spec. I live close to Dallas,Tx and I am told we have big teeth, but I cant seem to find one bigger than a 1/2 inch or so.

Im just wondering who and where else people are finding these teeth?? I would be intrested in the size and colors and the spec. I live close to Dallas,Tx and I am told we have big teeth, but I cant seem to find one bigger than a 1/2 inch or so.

Del, his wife, and my friend and I all found some nice Ptychodus teeth at the creek we visited in Hale County, AL last weekend. But the ones I saw were all the same size you're talking about. :)

I know the bigger ones can be found in the Kamp Ranch limestone and the Eagle Ford-Austin contact zone. Dallas Paleo members (and other groups) occasionally get the priviledge to visit the local cement quarries in the Kef-Kau contact and collect good size ones.

I've heard tale of muffin-sized ones also! :o

I have been meaning to Joing the Dallas Paleo club for a while, but time is a killer for me.

As for the size of teeth, I was told by someone I ran into awhile back that he split a golfball size one out of the limestone. I have a chunk of one that would have been that big or bigger. Matter of fact, the place where you found that handful of Ptychodus teeth the other day is where I found that huge piece. Thats been my honey hole for a long time, but sadly is disapearing fast. Before they laid the sod by the entrance I would dig in that hill side and just pull out plates with teeth in them. I wish there were another spot like that around. Im pretty much out of spots to hit, so I have to keep my eyes open for contruction.

]

Attached are a few Ptychodus teeth from various areas in the US. I've seen a few just over 2" from KS. This genus is reported in excess of 3" from UK sites.

Sorry about some of the pics - they are not the best.

post-294-1212351928_thumb.jpg

post-294-1212351981_thumb.jpgpost-294-1212352034_thumb.jpg

post-294-1212352072_thumb.jpg

post-294-1212352103_thumb.jpg

post-294-1212352431_thumb.jpg

post-294-1212352131_thumb.jpg

post-294-1212352336_thumb.jpg

When the Trinity River is down you can work the Kamp Ranch limestone downstream of Inwood Rd near downtown Dallas. Lots of poison ivy though, and I'm not sure if it is restricted or not. Don't expose any open cuts or sores to that nasty water. It is the most foul stream of pathogens you'd ever dream of actually putting your body in. However Squalicorax, Cretoxyrhina, and Ptychodus can be found there in addition to Prionocyclus ammonites, mostly impressions. I've found Ptychodus as far south as San Antonio where I live, but they are small. You are living in the hot bed of muffin teeth for the entire state.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest N.AL.hunter

fossilselachian,

Nice teeth and I am glad to see some of them came from Alabama. Just for your info, the largest Ptychodus tooth I've found in this state came from Catoma Creek in Montgomery county. Just a little larger than any I have found from Hale County (probably around 50 so far). Unfortunately, the only species I have ever found have been the mortoni.

Here you go.

post-40-1212435329_thumb.jpg

post-40-1212435364_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Ooooh, that chunk of rock is really nice! Chock full 'o teeth!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

These are from somewhere around Dallas. Unfortunately I didn't find them. I thought the large one was 2 inches but it's only 1.99.

post-210-1212453852_thumb.jpg

The "only 1.99 inch" one looks really complete. I really don't know much about Ptychodus; is ths "flange" around the base the root, or tooth that was under the gum? The semi-side views posted by fossilselachian show a second structure under the "cap" (I may have answered my own question, but I'd rather get it right).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

There is a short "stem" like structure, under the "cap", that is the root of the tooth. None of the root is visible in the pic.

When the Trinity River is down you can work the Kamp Ranch limestone downstream of Inwood Rd near downtown Dallas. Lots of poison ivy though, and I'm not sure if it is restricted or not. Don't expose any open cuts or sores to that nasty water. It is the most foul stream of pathogens you'd ever dream of actually putting your body in. However Squalicorax, Cretoxyrhina, and Ptychodus can be found there in addition to Prionocyclus ammonites, mostly impressions. I've found Ptychodus as far south as San Antonio where I live, but they are small. You are living in the hot bed of muffin teeth for the entire state.

Dan, your a better man than me, Im not sure I would get into the Trinity river. Did you actually get in the water? I guess if theres nice teeth there I would try it. I've done stupider things to get nice fossils.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are incredible specimens. Real prizes. They almost look like pieces of art.

I've found Ptychodus teeth in a few formations in Montana, etc. but none of them are more than 3/4 inch. Certainly nothing approaching the size of the specimens in the photos in above postings....and never in matrix but loose in dark bluish-grey clay deposits.

• 9 months later...
]

Attached are a few Ptychodus teeth from various areas in the US. I've seen a few just over 2" from KS. This genus is reported in excess of 3" from UK sites.

Sorry about some of the pics - they are not the best.

post-294-1212351928_thumb.jpg

post-294-1212351981_thumb.jpgpost-294-1212352034_thumb.jpg

post-294-1212352072_thumb.jpg

post-294-1212352103_thumb.jpg

post-294-1212352431_thumb.jpg

A friend, who is on this list somewhere visited me a few years ago, saw I had a P. mortoni just over 1 1/2" and a P. polygyrus just under that - both from KS. He said that it's rare to see teeth that big from anywhere. I had heard of the "golfball" teeth from time to time and was thinking them more mythical than real until a friend sent me a piece of a crown of one from Russia. It measures 1 9/16" across but it is missing some of the marginal area one side and all of it one the other. A conservative estimate would put it at 2" complete. it looks like a giant latissimus with worn ridges.

I have all seen teeth around that size from Japan.

Here is a sample of what I find in my creek. The smallest one is just under 1 inch and the largest is 2 inches.

post-1082-1238979285_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1238979307_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1238979326_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1238979738_thumb.jpg

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Here is a sample of what I find in my creek. The smallest one is just under 1 inch and the largest is 2 inches.

post-423-1238980914_thumb.jpg

Those are really nice. You are so lucky to have those just laying around in a creek.

post-1082-1238979285_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1238979307_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1238979326_thumb.jpgpost-1082-1238979738_thumb.jpg

I think me and you need to make a date with that creek! We dont have to tell my wife :P Those are HUGE!!

I think me and you need to make a date with that creek! We dont have to tell my wife :P Those are HUGE!!

Jax, we could take BFG to Texoma next month for Big Ammonites in exchange to a trip to her creek!!!

Doh, someone like Jeremy probably already thought of that! :P

O

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"