Pentanogmius Photos... Finally!

Ptychodus04

Hi All,

I finally got some more photos of the Pentanogmius on my brand new web page. Here's the address: http://texasfossils.webs.com/

Scroll down the home page and click the Pentanogmius link on the left.

Cheers,

Kris

Edited by Ptychodus04

Always Nice to see a beautiful plethodid fish. Especially from Texas! I have a number of specimens from Kansas (only one complete fish,tho), but never even found a vertebra in Texas! Congratulations!

:wub:

What a find, Kris! Congratulations to you and your friends. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice. Looking at all the pics of collecting that beast makes my muscles sore.

I'm glad the photos portray reality! By day 4 (technically day 4. In reality, it was just a continuation of day 3), we were so tired that we just plopped our heads down in the mud and could barely swing the hammers. I have never been so sore.

If you look at the photo that shows the hole with the fish finally out, you will see a slab of rock that is roughly 3'x2' and almost 6" thick leaning up against the side of the hole. That big chunk fell off the bottom of the jacketd slab and landed right on my left shin as we were flipping the jacket. I actually got a small fracture from it that took about almost a year to finally heal up... I probably should have gone to the doctor for that one!

All for the love of old dead things. I'd do it again given the chance!!

Bravo!!! Believe me, I know what you went through on that. Just a wonderful, wonderful fish. Great job with the prep!!!! :wub::wub:

• 3 years later...

I realized that I never put up pics of the Pentanogmius when the display at the Perot Museum was finally finished. I guess I have no excuse because I fell off the face of the Earth for a couple of years!

So, much belated... Here are a couple pics. My only gripe (and it's a big one) is that the company that built the mount applied some kind of stabilizer to the entire slab. I don't know what it was, but it turned the whole thing gray. It didn't change the look of the shale (it was gray already) but it totally changed the bones from the beautiful chocolate brown color that they were... bye bye contrast. Oh well, at least more than 1,000,000 have seen it.

post-4550-0-86521300-1411050924_thumb.jpg

post-4550-0-14740100-1411051065_thumb.jpg

According to Drs. Ron Tycoski and Tony Fiorillo, it's the real deal. I saw photos of the mount as it was being built and Ron mentioned that they company was going to apply some consolidant to stabilize the shale as it was very brittle. I did the prep and we donated the specimen still in field jackets so it wouldn't fall apart.