Favorite Trilobites In Your Collection!

paleozoicfish

Guest Olenus

Here is a truly incredible example of trilobite morphology. Before it was formally described by Morzadec, 2001 it was simply referred to as the "Trident Trilobite". Little imagination is needed to understand the species name assigned to this alien bug as a three-forked trifurcatus. This bizarre bug is easily one of my all-time favorites and required nerves of steel to remove from its protective enclosure and photograph to present here in this great thread of trilobites.

Happily worth the effort though.... enjoy everyone! :D

Walliserops trifurcatus

Middle Devonian - Upper Emsian

Foum Zguid Fm - Dra Valley, Morocco

post-4301-0-17490800-1307815961_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-92326900-1307815966_thumb.jpg

What a fantastic trilobite and amazing prep work! :wub:

Yes, I'd say you're going to have to pony up with some good stuff for Dave...

I have one of those Piochaspises(?) but it didn't come with a real specific locality other than "Pioche, Lincoln Co, NV".. do you know if these all come from the Half Moon Mine or are they just as likely to come from a range of places?

• 3 weeks later...

In honor of the July 4th holiday weekend here is one of the most prized All-American trilobites. This phacopid-wad features four perfectly articulated individuals nested together atop a slice of Ohio Silica Shale. One bug is encrusted with pyrite crystals and even has pyrite coating the eyes! The spiny forms are always spectacular although the case can be made for this fossil as well for the organized chaos of a classic quartet of trilobites.

Have a fun and safe weekend everyone! 

Eldredgeops (Phacops) rana ~2" each

Middle Devonian - Silica Shale Fm.

Paulding County, Ohio, USA

post-4301-0-52966200-1309627840_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

In honor of the July 4th holiday weekend here is one of the most prized All-American trilobites. This phacopid-wad features four perfectly articulated individuals nested together atop a slice of Ohio Silica Shale. One bug is encrusted with pyrite crystals and even has pyrite coating the eyes! The spiny forms are always spectacular although the case can be made for this fossil as well for the organized chaos of a classic quartet of trilobites.

Have a fun and safe weekend everyone! :bbq: :bbq: :bbq:

Eldredgeops (Phacops) rana ~2" each

Middle Devonian - Silica Shale Fm.

Paulding County, Ohio, USA

post-4301-0-52966200-1309627840_thumb.jpg

:o:mellow: ................................ :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :D

Some of my favorite trilos...

post-6274-0-37283300-1310331666_thumb.jpg

post-6274-0-56100500-1310331679_thumb.jpg

post-6274-0-31902100-1310331688_thumb.jpg

post-6274-0-07173000-1310331697_thumb.jpg

post-6274-0-14394300-1310331720_thumb.jpg

post-6274-0-82143500-1310331781_thumb.jpg

post-6274-0-52138000-1310331840_thumb.jpg

Scott

"An evolutionary perspective of our place in the history of the earth reminds us that homo sapiens sapiens has occupied the planet for the tiniest fraction of that planet's four and a half thousand million years of existence. In many ways we are a biological accident, the product of countless propitious circumstances. As we peer back through the fossil record, through layer upon layer of long-extinct species, many of which thrived far longer than the human species is ever likely to do, we are reminded of our mortality as a species. There is no law that declares the human animal to be different, as seen in this broad biological perspective, from any other animal. There is no law that declares the human species to be immortal."

— Richard E. Leakey

Well I only have two trilobites in my collection, so I don't have much of a choice. But this Coltraneia (I think) is my favorite one.

bathtrilobite.jpg

Amazing trilos, everyone!

Here's a contribution from me:

From the Devonian Windom shale.

These were found about 2 weeks ago, by me, but they are my favorites already! :wub:

Eldredgeops (Phacops) rana

post-2806-0-54290900-1310840850_thumb.jp

Another Eldredgeops rana

post-2806-0-45440400-1310841137_thumb.jp

and a Greenops boothi

post-2806-0-00350100-1310841263_thumb.jp

Enjoy!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Some of my favorite trilos...

Well I only have two trilobites in my collection, so I don't have much of a choice. But this Coltraneia (I think) is my favorite one.

Thanks for posting these excellent trilobites! :)

Lately fossils are attracted to me like a magnet. It has been years since I have had the opportunity to add a complete trilobite to my collection. After reaching into double digits my interests naturally went in other directions. That all changed this week with two great friends gifting me spectacular bugs. I posted recently about Carmine's Greenops gift. Then it occurred to me that he did not even consider entering it for July FOTM. I have to confess that hit me like a ton of bricks. His generosity speaks volumes that he would insist on giving me his very best-ever collected trilobite that he found and gave away without one single thought for himself or reward. That is what makes Carmine an extraordinary person really.

Almost as incredible is another friend that I volunteer with at UO. Yesterday he brought a gift from his recent visit back to New York. I knew a few weeks ago that he was bringing me a trilobite but I just assumed yet another phacops. When this classic Dipleura emerged from his pocket I think my brain must have short-circuited momentarily. This great fossil has a storied history as well. It belonged to the famous anthropologist and Zuni Indian expert Frank Hamilton Cushing who collected it circa 1880 in New York. My friend was involved in the estate auction in 1968 and was given this trilobite and a few Zuni artifacts as a reward for services rendered. It sat in his daughter's attic for the last 20 years and is now happily among many friends in this thread and my collection. There have been a few Dipleura trilobites that have managed to elude me over the years. This one just jumped over the side of the boat without even casting a line or baiting a hook. This is certainly a lucky run of fossils lately.

Sometimes I'd rather be lucky than good. Enjoy! :D

Dipleura dekayi 5.5"

Middle Devonian

New York, USA

post-4301-0-38230500-1311210029_thumb.jpg

post-2629-0-26584000-1311215802_thumb.jpg

Wow,

would you look at that! What a great gift from another amazingly generous friend (that's two in a row for you)!

That bug couldn't have landed in a better home Scott!

And how about the provenance!

Superb!!!!!

Dan

Lately fossils are attracted to me like a magnet. It has been years since I have had the opportunity to add a complete trilobite to my collection. After reaching into double digits my interests naturally went in other directions. That all changed this week with two great friends gifting me spectacular bugs. I posted recently about Carmine's Greenops gift. Then it occurred to me that he did not even consider entering it for July FOTM. I have to confess that hit me like a ton of bricks. His generosity speaks volumes that he would insist on giving me his very best-ever collected trilobite that he found and gave away without one single thought for himself or reward. That is what makes Carmine an extraordinary person really.

Almost as incredible is another friend that I volunteer with at UO. Yesterday he brought a gift from his recent visit back to New York. I knew a few weeks ago that he was bringing me a trilobite but I just assumed yet another phacops. When this classic Dipleura emerged from his pocket I think my brain must have short-circuited momentarily. This great fossil has a storied history as well. It belonged to the famous anthropologist and Zuni Indian expert Frank Hamilton Cushing who collected it circa 1880 in New York. My friend was involved in the estate auction in 1968 and was given this trilobite and a few Zuni artifacts as a reward for services rendered. It sat in his daughter's attic for the last 20 years and is now happily among many friends in this thread and my collection. There have been a few Dipleura trilobites that have managed to elude me over the years. This one just jumped over the side of the boat without even casting a line or baiting a hook. This is certainly a lucky run of fossils lately.

Sometimes I'd rather be lucky than good. Enjoy! :D

Dipleura dekayi 5.5"

Middle Devonian

New York, USA

post-4301-0-38230500-1311210029_thumb.jpg

:drool: :Drool: :drool: :Drool: :drool: :Drool: :drool:

:notfair: :notfair:

:D

keep that beauty bug safe and happy like you always do! ;)

Caleb, Dan, Henry, thank you!

Thought I would share one more fun tidbit on this trilobite. As I pointed out it was collected circa 1880. As luck would have it about 10 years ago I purchased a Victorian bronze trilobite paperweight from a gentleman in Scotland. It is a Trimerus which is a sister taxon (homalonotid) to Dipleura. The resemblance is quite obvious and not much of a stretch to imagine this piece was crafted at approximately the same time the fossil was originally found. They are identical in size and happily residing next to each other on my desk.

IBPF...... inseparable best pals forever! :P:)

post-4301-0-13176100-1311353508_thumb.jpg

Wow!

Scott, that trilo is fantastic! And to have a "Twin" bug, even a replica is quite a story!

Great acquisition, which only confirms my recent affirmation in the belief of Karma - what you put out there can definitely come back to you in kind.

I think that so many are eager to see their fossils in good, appreciative hands speaks to the many ways you help people out, and distribute your knowledge freely here on the forum.

Best regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow!

Scott, that trilo is fantastic! And to have a "Twin" bug, even a replica is quite a story!

Great acquisition, which only confirms my recent affirmation in the belief of Karma - what you put out there can definitely come back to you in kind.

I think that so many are eager to see their fossils in good, appreciative hands speaks to the many ways you help people out, and distribute your knowledge freely here on the forum.

Best regards,

Thank you so much Tim. There are many great members here that lead by example, you being one of them of course. The spirit of generosity really is contagious, this is the nicest group of folks I have ever seen online. Ironically, when you mention Karma, now I automatically think, Karmine!

Thanks to all that contribute to make TFF such a wonderful community. :)

Here is an excellent droops, top prep job I purchased while at MAPS this spring:

Edited by dinoruss

The Erbenochile was my favorite of the bunch until I saw the Olenoides. All World-Class specimens Russ! B):D

And to add to the soft parts photos here is one I traded for recently from the famous New York site. Supposedly one of best cephalic regions on these Triatharus bugs!!! It is a centerpiece now in my collection!

The Erbenochile was my favorite of the bunch until I saw the Olenoides. All World-Class specimens Russ! B):D

Yep it is a real beauty, I was fortunate to get this specimen, done by same person who did the Drotops!

I have been doing some trades and such recently and acquired the Olenoides, one of the best for sure. It is over 3 inches very large one!

russ

At some point will have to put up some of my carboniferous bugs also, but not all have photos yet. I worked for Illinois Geological Survey Coal section for 34 years and got an interest in those little carboniferous bugs. Now I have over two shelves of bugs from the Permo-Carboniferous. I have some beauties there also.

The erg is fantastic with the small little spines prepped on the thorax and cephalic areas. My partner and friend in Morocco who did this but spent over 50 hours on it he tells me. I had been wanting an Erb to round out my Moroccan stuff I have from him and other sources and this one sure does it.

Yep all are world class and real centerpieces in my trilobite collection, glad to share the images!

russ