Favorite Trilobites In Your Collection!

paleozoicfish

Wow, that Ceratonurus makes me dizzy. I was fascinated to read about the spines that aren't able to be prepped on those and Dicranurus trilobites. It would be interesting to see them when they were alive.

What is also special is that Bob Caroll signed it underneath with his little icon and name so it has some neat provenance as well so it makes it s special bug. I see Bob each year at Tucson and sometimes have a beer with him as well. My partner and i want to spend time collecting with him as well so I hope eventually to do that when he retires and we can both head out for such trips to visit Bob in Oklahoma

What is also special is that Bob Caroll signed it underneath with his little icon and name so it has some neat provenance as well so it makes it s special bug. I see Bob each year at Tucson and sometimes have a beer with him as well. My partner and i want to spend time collecting with him as well so I hope eventually to do that when he retires and we can both head out for such trips to visit Bob in Oklahoma

It is interesting that mentioned Bob Caroll signing the bottom of your fossil. I have a book that George Hansen wrote. Mr. Caroll signed one of the pages that features him with that same little icon that you are talking about. Great stuff.

It is interesting that mentioned Bob Caroll signing the bottom of your fossil. I have a book that George Hansen wrote. Mr. Caroll signed one of the pages that features him with that same little icon that you are talking about. Great stuff.

Yep it is.

I don't know how you all acquire such spectacular specimens, prepped or otherwise.. from what I can tell, you're either rich, lucky or just very dedicated!

Speaking of Carboniferous trilos, these are my only example of such, I posted these in the ID section because I don't know where they are from but by the sound of it (piranha) they are Mississippian(?)... Sorry for the repost but maybe more trilo fans read this thread than the ID sct.

post-4372-0-08896000-1313118406_thumb.jpg

post-4372-0-42731900-1313118447_thumb.jpg

post-4372-0-33685700-1313118497_thumb.jpg

Wow...... that was back a couple months ago but I never inferred these were Mississippian trilobites. By the associated fossils we collectively ranged the possibility of a Carboniferous-Permian origin and my main focus was simply to place them decisively either as dechenellids or phillipsiids. Since then I have not forgotten your bugs and have been reading as many papers as I could find on the subject hoping to discover a match for you. I will stand by the last opinion offered that your trilobites are a genus of phillipsiid. The overall range for this group is Mississipian-Permian. Sorry there is nothing more specific to offer yet. Since you are posting it here for others to weigh in, it might be useful to once again revisit what one of the experts I contacted had to offer as well. Hope this helps to get it sorted out for you sometime soon:

"Thanks very much for your kind words and email and for sending those pictures. They look like very nice specimens and you also pose a very interesting question. First, let me say that if I were to find such pygidia in the Devonian I would certainly refer them to Dechenella but the fact that they are Carboniferous might lead some to treat them as a phillipsiid. The truth is that the distinction between these two genera/subfamilies is almost surely artificial and has not really been worked out in detail using a modern phylogenetic approach. It is very likely that Dechenella gives rise to part of Phillipsia but I think it may be an unsettled question whether it gives rise to all of it. So, technically at this juncture you'd probably be right referring the pygidia to either group, though perhaps the reference to a phillipsiid might be the more commonplace assignment."

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I agree they look like possible phillipsid to me given number of rings on axis. But you have better handle on differences than me. I need to read up more on my carboniferous bugs which I have been accumulating but not having time to spend examining more. I need to as I have to someday get my two Lodgepole unknowns described.... The brachs look like ones I have seen alot in Illinois Pennsylvanian...

russ

Hi guys, newbie here from Singapore. I thought it would be a good idea to share this recent addition to my Trilobites collection. Perhaps one of the better looking one. Here is an excellent Comura bultyncki that I purchased from Dr Ed Staver. I've searched high and low for a near perfect specimen of this trilobite (the ones that I saw everywhere looked dubious with fake spines or badly prepped with missing spines) and I think this one certainly did justice to this mighty sailed spined hero.

post-420-0-36400300-1313205853_thumb.jpg

Here is a truly incredible example of trilobite morphology. Before it was formally described by Morzadec, 2001 it was simply referred to as the "Trident Trilobite". Little imagination is needed to understand the species name assigned to this alien bug as a three-forked trifurcatus. This bizarre bug is easily one of my all-time favorites and required nerves of steel to remove from its protective enclosure and photograph to present here in this great thread of trilobites.

Happily worth the effort though.... enjoy everyone! :D

Walliserops trifurcatus

Middle Devonian - Upper Emsian

Foum Zguid Fm - Dra Valley, Morocco

post-4301-0-17490800-1307815961_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-92326900-1307815966_thumb.jpg

No words can discribe my first thought when I saw this, It's just Beautiful beyond words, Awesome, Truely Awesome find!

"Re-living History, one piece at a time..."

Hi guys, newbie here from Singapore. I thought it would be a good idea to share this recent addition to my Trilobites collection. Perhaps one of the better looking one. Here is an excellent Comura bultyncki that I purchased from Dr Ed Staver. I've searched high and low for a near perfect specimen of this trilobite (the ones that I saw everywhere looked dubious with fake spines or badly prepped with missing spines) and I think this one certainly did justice to this mighty sailed spined hero.

Nice bug. I remember when you bought it from our site. We get lots of excellent material from our moroccan partner Hassane. Most of it is excellent and high quality. Ed has always had the goal of museum/high quality specimens. First he just photographed his own collection and we also sell nice photos of these quality photos (framed and or just matted)

My Drotops and Erbenochile is also from Hassane. You got a very, very nice bug here

and have a good eye for the best. Thanks for sharing with everyone!

Russ

Hi Dinoruss,

Hope all is good on your side! Thanks alot for the words! Please do also send my regards to Dr Staver as well as Hassane!

Warm Regards,

Rick

Hi Dinoruss,

Hope all is good on your side! Thanks alot for the words! Indeed it is a pleasure dealing with you guys at Paleo-pix as you've got some of the best fossils on the internet. Please do also send my regards to Dr Staver as well as Hassane!

Warm Regards,

Rick

It is going well. Ed and I will be heading to St. Louis to meet our other friend Joe Devera out of Carbondale. I have another business with Joe (and he is also partner with Paleo-pix) and we sell at shows besides our website paleo-pix.net that I am webmaster of.

Thanks for your compliment. We try hard to get nothing but high quality fossils. Ed has some great contacts in Cambrian out west (and he started with one of the best western US Cambrian collections I have seen - my Olenoides nevandensis I displayed back in this thread came from Ed's collection that I got in a trade with him) Hassane was a great contact we met at MAPs 3 yerars ago. He showed up because of the overload at Tucson and just wanted to do regional shows like MAPs We struck up a good friendship with Hasane and the rest is history. My moroccan collection has grown by leaps and bounds through this partnership and friendship with Hassane.

I will tell Ed you said hi. Usually talk to him every day he just lives a couple hours from me.

Russ

Edited by dinoruss

Wow...... that was back a couple months ago but I never inferred these were Mississippian trilobites. By the associated fossils we collectively ranged the possibility of a Carboniferous-Permian origin and my main focus was simply to place them decisively either as dechenellids or phillipsiids. Since then I have not forgotten your bugs and have been reading as many papers as I could find on the subject hoping to discover a match for you. I will stand by the last opinion offered that your trilobites are a genus of phillipsiid. The overall range for this group is Mississipian-Permian. Sorry there is nothing more specific to offer yet. Since you are posting it here for others to weigh in, it might be useful to once again revisit what one of the experts I contacted had to offer as well. Hope this helps to get it sorted out for you sometime soon:

Oh sorry, I must have misunderstood (or mis-remembered) the original discussion - should go back and review that :blush: .. But now, based on what you and dinoruss have said, I wonder if these are in fact Upper Pennsylvanian or Lower Permian, which we have here on Vancouver Island..... the associated bivalves look like one from 'West Coast Fossils' that is found here on the Island, from that age, but the trilos are not like the ones already found! Interesting... Thanks both for your input.

More please.

Haha...... yes, happy to accommodate that request! :)

Attached is a spiny lichid trilobite from Morocco. As much of the Moroccan material awaits proper description, this one has simply been assigned over the years as the European equivalent type species; Ceratarges (Lichas) armatus (Goldfuss, 1839). Now in 2011 it has finally achieved a long overdue classification courtesy of Allart P. Van Viersen & Harald Prescher. Follow the link for the open access pdf paper of this and three other Ceratarges species. Always a pleasure to sort the Moroccan trilobites with specificity.

Many folks need to make new labels! :blink::o:P

LINK

Ceratarges ziregensis 2"

Middle Devonian (Eifelian)

El Otfal Fm - Jbel Zireg, Morocco

post-4301-0-65160600-1313348958_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-91297900-1313348948_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Haha...... yes, happy to accommodate that request! :)

Attached is a spiny lichid trilobite from Morocco. As much of the Moroccan material awaits proper description, this one has simply been assigned over the years as the European equivalent type species; Ceratarges (Lichas) armatus (Goldfuss, 1839). Now in 2011 it has finally achieved a long overdue classification courtesy of Allart P. Van Viersen & Harald Prescher. Follow the link for the open access pdf paper of this and three other Ceratarges species. Always a pleasure to sort the Moroccan trilobites with specificity.

Many folks need to make new labels! :blink::o:P

LINK

Ceratarges ziregensis 2"

Middle Devonian (Eifelian)

El Otfal Fm - Jbel Zireg, Morocco

post-4301-0-65160600-1313348958_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-91297900-1313348948_thumb.jpg

thanks for link added that article to my collection of PDF's

i dont own a single trilobite. sad aint it? :(

Are just waiting to find your own? If so, that is great discipline......... Which I don't have.... :blush:

Another infamous homalonotid is the "ELVIS" bug AKA Burmeisteria,

Burmeisterella, etc., but is actually assigned as Scabrella propradoana.

Elvis bugs are usually fabricated molds. This is a ultra rare 'real' example.

Scabrella propradoana 8.5" (22cm)

Lower Devonian - Morocco

RE: Müller, P. (2005): Revision of the genus Scabrella (Trilobita, Lower Devonian).

Geologica et Palaeontologica, 39: 1-27, Figure 1-13, Table 1-4, PL 1-4; Marburg.

post-4301-0-13615200-1296349101_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-67382600-1296349108_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-05074800-1296349117_thumb.jpg

Ok might as well post my elvis bug I picked up from Doc Fossil in Tucson a couple years ago. When I asked I was told real, but I did not ask about possibly being a composite. The other day I was convinced it was a composite (real parts) of cephalon and body. I have looked at again I am not abosulutely sure. I will post for interest series of photos which I will probably have to spread on several messaages. The cephalon is obviously repaired a bit, that is clear. Thorax is in pretty good shape and you can see cracked carapace and all with some minor repair along cracks more on that in a bit. Pygidia is very nice. Ok first the main photos then I will post some zoomed in ones as well that I think show the cracks going from thorax to pygidia (where repaired) and from left edge of cephalon into thorax.

Here is head of specimen from top view.

right side of specimen:

Ok on to next message at my limit:

Number 2 photos of my Scabrella:

Front right view for more of a perspective:

View of pygidia:

Ok now lets look at the pygidia to thorax which like the first specimen have cracks/repairs running from middle of right side of thorax into the pygidia, convincing me now the thorax and pygidia are together in cracks and repairs:

A view from back of pygidia showing cracks from right side of pygidia into cracks and repairs in thorax:

Now a view looking down thorax right side to pygidia that shows two sets of cracks in thorax (one on plueral part and one across the axis that narrow towards the pygidia and that go into cracks (some repairs on both seen of course) on pygidia:

Edited by dinoruss

Finally some views on the left front edge of the cephalon into thorax. There are cracks where the back edge of the cephalon has been glued back in, and then the same cracks and some minor repairs to top of pluerae are seen which seem to line up well with the crack and repair to back of cephalon.

First view looking from side:

And second view looking from front

Thats it. I am curious what you guys think, composite or intact with some repairs. Look at some views of the matrix, I do see signs under the scratching and such that the specimen has had some kind of repair relative to the matrix on all most the whole rock. So whatcha think, composite pasted on rock, or just some repairs, or whole pasted on rock. I did not pay arm and leg for this. It was listed at $800, got for $600. So with that price it is not as nice as two already shown but not terrible even if it is a composite, although with this connection of cracks I have just showed not sure now if a composite or not.

Enjoy , love to hear your comments.

Thanks

Russ

Are just waiting to find your own? If so, that is great discipline......... Which I don't have.... :blush:

lol...actually i found one years ago, in PA, just north of Harrisburg but it's long gone now. we dont find them anywhere near here in south jersey.