Favorite Trilobites In Your Collection!

paleozoicfish

Here are two trilobite I found in the Carboniferous of Belgium. No restoration,100% natural :D

1- cummingella belisama

2- Piltonia kuehnei

Very nice specimens!

malts

Just got an email from Sam Gon II confirming my Aciculolenus palmeri will be February's featured "Trilobite of the Month" on his website A Guide to the Orders of Trilobites.

post-2629-0-56181800-1296783933_thumb.jpg This specimen is 6mm long.

Here's the link.

Dan

Wow! Congratulations Dan, that's great news.

How big do those Aciculolenus get? I have one tiny one (~5 mm), and another that I thought was Aciculolenus but it's 2 cm and not complete. Maybe it's some other type of olenid.

Don

I'll mix it up with a super spiny lichid from Russia.

Never mind the challenging name game debates.

An exotic beautiful trilobite by any account:

Hoplolichas tricuspidatus 2-3/4" (7cm)

Middle Ordovician - Vilpovitsy Quarry

Asery Formation, St Petersburg, Russia

post-4301-0-56392900-1296875310_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I'll mix it up with a super spiny lichid from Russia...

Невероятно! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hoplolichoides tricuspidatus 2-3/4" (7cm)

Like I've said before: I Love Spiny Trilobites!

post-2629-0-86468200-1296883123_thumb.jpg

And Lichids are amongst my favorites!

Such a stunning specimen Scott!!!!!

Astrinos, Chas, Dan, Kevin,

Спасибо!

Top Trilobite Thread PzF !!

:pic: :pic: :pic: :pic:

Agreed! This thread has been much more awesome than I could have imagined. Excellent trilos everyone!

Unfortunately, I do not have too many more, but they are now on my list of fossils to get.

-PzF

Erratencrinurus vigilans (Hall).

Another to put on your list! ;)

Verulam Fm., Upper Ord., Hastings Co., Ontario

Lovely little knobby-headed encrinurid Kevin! :wub:

I can't remember what it was called before? :wacko:

Speaking of memory loss, what the heck was

that other bizarre trilobite from Canada with

the nickname "fizzy" or "phizzy"? Is this that? :blink:

Gotta love those knobbly heads.....nuff said

It was formerly called Encrinuroides vigilans

And I am not sure on the fizzy Phizzy??????? Enlighten me........

I probably got one whatever it is........

Wow! Congratulations Dan, that's great news.

How big do those Aciculolenus get? I have one tiny one (~5 mm), and another that I thought was Aciculolenus but it's 2 cm and not complete. Maybe it's some other type of olenid.

Don

Thanks Don,

According to Chatterton and Ludvigsen (1998), specimens of Aciculolenus palmeri are very small reaching up to 9mm in length.

Not sure about the 2cm beast. I would have to see a photo to make an educated guess. Maybe it's something new!

Brian D.E. Chatterton and Rolf Ludvigsen. 1998. Upper Steptoean (Upper Cambrian) Trilobites from the McKay Group of Southeastern British Columbia, Canada. Memoir 49, The Palaeontological Society, 43 pages.

Gotta love those knobbly heads.....nuff said

It was formerly called Encrinuroides vigilans

And I am not sure on the fizzy Phizzy??????? Enlighten me........

I probably got one whatever it is........

What I remember is a diminutive bug similar

in size to these. I'm positive the nickname of

"Fizzy" or "Phizzy" is a reference to the first

part of the genus name and ends with 'taspis'.

Something stuck in my mind is also saying

maybe it was a Pharostoma? ... :wacko::blink::wacko:

Thanks Don,

According to Chatterton and Ludvigsen (1998), specimens of Aciculolenus palmeri are very small reaching up to 9mm in length.

Not sure about the 2cm beast. I would have to see a photo to make an educated guess. Maybe it's something new!

Brian D.E. Chatterton and Rolf Ludvigsen. 1998. Upper Steptoean (Upper Cambrian) Trilobites from the McKay Group of Southeastern British Columbia, Canada. Memoir 49, The Palaeontological Society, 43 pages.

Hey Dan, Does that age of Upper Steptoean apply to just the trilos at Tanglefoot Creek, or to the ones from Radium as well? I guess the question in other words is, does the paper explain the age range of the McKay Gp or the various formations within it?

Hey Dan, Does that age of Upper Steptoean apply to just the trilos at Tanglefoot Creek, or to the ones from Radium as well? I guess the question in other words is, does the paper explain the age range of the McKay Gp or the various formations within it?

I guess it's possible that the Radium trilobites are also Steptoen in age! The current paper by Chatterton and Ludvigsen (1998) only mentions rudimentary work carried out on McKay stratigraphy.

I've never been to the Radium sites, so I don't really have the knowledge or expertise to comment on those trilobites or their age.

I've done some sleuthing and come up with an Upper Cambrian age. Additionally, the trilobites are often found in green and grey-green phyllites which look like Unit H of the McKay Group( which is the same unit that the Tanglefoot Creek trilobites occur in). Having said that, I am not certain what part of Unit H the Radium trilobites occur in. Very little work has been done on the stratigraphy of the McKay Group and thus it is poorly understood. I'm hoping the new work by Brian Chatterton at the University of Alberta will answer some of the basic questions about McKay Group stratigraphy and its biostratigraphy.

Dan

PzF,

Those are very nice triarthrus'!!! :wub:

Did you collect these yourself? I have actually been invited to the particular spot where those guys found this summer...

Well for now, my triarthrus spinosus' are my favorites!

they are all collected in the billings shale ottawa on.

post-3994-0-40741700-1297003872_thumb.jpg

post-3994-0-77033200-1297003885_thumb.jpg

post-3994-0-78630200-1297003902_thumb.jpg

-Shamus

The Ordovician enthusiast.

I'm still in the dark about "Fizzy". Never heard that before. There are no Pharostoma in Ontario, and the only trilobites that begin with PH or F (in Ontario) are Phacops. Failleana, and Flexicalymene

There was 1 possible Physemetaspis found, and there is some debate over the differences in Erratencrinus species. There may be more than vigilans. There has not been any work done on this. But I didn't think anybody sold any under this name. Interesting if it is true. I didn't thinbk there were enough of them to warrant a nickname!

On 2/6/2011 at 7:54 AM, Trilobitologist said:

I'm still in the dark about "Fizzy". Never heard that before. There are no Pharostoma in Ontario, and the only trilobites that begin with PH or F (in Ontario) are Phacops. Failleana, and Flexicalymene

There was 1 possible Physemetaspis found, and there is some debate over the differences in Erratencrinus species. There may be more than vigilans. There has not been any work done on this. But I didn't think anybody sold any under this name. Interesting if it is true. I didn't thinbk there were enough of them to warrant a nickname!

A Million Thanks Kevin !! Lest anyone question the "ologist" in your moniker !!

Fizzy was a nickname bestowed upon that trilobite by its owner whom we were just coincidentally discussing in a who's who of Canadian collectors. Wow what a relief, that was giving me fits finally. I feel vindicated of course, correctly referencing a rather obscure putative Canadian encrinurid.

What a great coincidence to have just found this little gem:

Encrinuridae Physemetaspis sp. Ord. M. Bobcaygeon Fm. Brett and Rudkin 1997; Ottawa Group 03

The Trilobitologist Strikes Again !! Please post a photo if you've got one. ;)

I guess it's possible that the Radium trilobites are also Steptoean in age! The current paper by Chatterton and Ludvigsen (1998) only mentions rudimentary work carried out on McKay stratigraphy.

I've never been to the Radium sites, so I don't really have the knowledge or expertise to comment on those trilobites or their age.

I've done some sleuthing and come up with an Upper Cambrian age. Additionally, the trilobites are often found in green and grey-green phyllites which look like Unit H of the McKay Group( which is the same unit that the Tanglefoot Creek trilobites occur in). Having said that, I am not certain what part of Unit H the Radium trilobites occur in. Very little work has been done on the stratigraphy of the McKay Group and thus it is poorly understood. I'm hoping the new work by Brian Chatterton at the University of Alberta will answer some of the basic questions about McKay Group stratigraphy and its biostratigraphy.

Dan

Yes I also came up with Upper Cambrian somehow, but was hoping to narrow it down some... Upper Steptoean is sufficiently narrow, but I wasn't sure if that applied to both Tanglefoot and Radium... if they are both the same unit, then I guess the question becomes, does the unit extend beyond the Upper Steptoean in either direction? Cant wait to find out. But for now at least I can label my Tanglefoot trilos as Upper Step'n, correct?

I have a few trilos from Radium, I think they are all Housia sp. and now that I see my label I have a reference to that paper you mention, and it says Unit H, Upper Steptoean!

Hoplolichoides tricuspidatus 2-3/4" (7cm)

I think this is my new favorite. I currently don't own any triobites, but think I would trade a big megalodon tooth for a good authentic triobite.

I think this is my new favorite. I currently don't own any triobites, but think I would trade a big megalodon tooth for a good authentic triobite.

Thank You DeloiVarden, it's one of my favorites as well! :)

Encrinuridae Physemetaspis sp. Ord. M. Bobcaygeon Fm. Brett and Rudkin 1997; Ottawa Group 03

The Trilobitologist Strikes Again !! Please post a photo if you've got one. ;)

I found your Doppelgänger! A slightly different Trilobitologist, Carlton Brett in this case? :blink:

No matter however, you're still the TOP EXPERT at TFF for uncovering its true identity! B)

for now at least I can label my Tanglefoot trilos as Upper Step'n, correct?

I have a few trilos from Radium, I think they are all Housia sp. and now that I see my label I have a reference to that paper you mention, and it says Unit H, Upper Steptoean!

Correct, as far as I know all of the trilobites from the Tanglefoot Creek site are Upper Cambrian (Steptoean). There are also some younger (Ordovician) trilobites in the area, but I have not seen the literature that narrows down their age. As I mentioned before, not much work has been done on the McKay Group.

In 1938, Kobayashi published work on Upper Cambrian trilobites of the McKay Group and following the Second World War (1955) he published on the Ordovician material. Another two papers resulted from research carried out, at the University of Alberta, on McKay Group trilobites in 1994 and 1998. Brian Chatterton's new work will bring the total to five when it is published. I'm very excited about the new work being done by Brian Chatterton and Chris Jenkins! Chatterton's new paper tops the list of my must have trilobite references!!

I have not seen any reference to Housia coming from Unit H, but would be interested in knowing where you saw this label or where the specimen was acquired from.