Snake & Mouse ?

Pappy

That's really wierd! If those are cigarette butts (1st pic, in the gravel), I can get a handle on the scale, but an idea of where it was found would help, too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

Looks like sed. structure to me. Those lines in the structure resemble dessication cracks, but idk?. Where was it found?

Tks for asking. I live in North West Georgia. Right under Chatt. Tn. I lay rock for a living and this is the 1st one that I have found. :) And yes I hate to say<<< they are cig butts :mellow:

Guest Nicholas

I'm going with interesting rock on this one, just doesn't seem to be a fossil to me. Maybe some of the more experienced hunters can show me what I'm missing.

They're probably trace fossils, aka burrows of some sort of invertebrate.

;) Thanks a whole lot. My next question is:: Is it worth anything or should I mount in on my rock fireplace? :D

I think it's value lies in it's visual interest; the viewer needn't be a geologist to enjoy the serpentine pattern and interesting texture. It's nature's art!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I think it's value lies in it's visual interest; the viewer needn't be a geologist to enjoy the serpentine pattern and interesting texture. It's nature's art!

Great point!

I don't know guys. Take another look at that thing. If you notice the section behind the head, I guess you could call it the neck, if snakes have necks. There are some symmetrical structures that look like they may be ribs to me. Also if notice the inclusion in the same area that looks to me like a possibly unsuccessfully regurgitated meal that could have lodged in the throat. It protrudes into the head/mouth area. Thoughts?

Sorry - just a cool rock. Fossil skeletons don't look like this....

...they look more like this:

post-423-1212703551_thumb.jpg

Wow Auspex, that is a totally cool photo...did you find that one? The detail is awesome...

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

...did you find that one?

Don't I wish! I "found" it on line. Google Images "snake fossil". I snatched it to illustrate the topic.

Don't I wish! I "found" it on line. Google Images "snake fossil". I snatched it to illustrate the topic.

c

Oh, well, now I don't have to be so jealous ^_^

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

Those are definitely sedimentary structures. From the texture you can tell the majority of the rock is coarser grained like sandstone, and that the inside of the structures are filled in with some type of mudrock; this is classic burrow infilling. After seeing literally tens of thousands of these things in the field you develop a certain eye for them. They are definitely trace fossils. Sorry to stifle any further speculation.

Bobby

Archived