Insect Fossils In Pa

Mark R

Hello, and Welcome to the Forum.

Found this on line -

Pottsville- Schuylkill, PA - Mississippian -Mauch Chunk- Footprints - amphibians - insects - Plant fossils

Located at this site : LINK

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Insect fossils are EXTREMELY rare in Pennsylvania. The only formations you might find them in are Carboniferous in age. I've found a wing before in the Llwellyn formation but that was sheer luck.

post-1408-0-28756100-1296398747_thumb.jpg

Insect fossils are EXTREMELY rare in Pennsylvania. The only formations you might find them in are Carboniferous in age. I've found a wing before in the Llwellyn formation but that was sheer luck.

Wow, that's really a beauty!

• 3 weeks later...

What's the size?

Tom

Here's my contribution to this buggy thread. These tracks are also from the Llewellen Formation.

Tom

post-4534-0-39560500-1298205554_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
richardfulton

Your best bet is probably in the Triassic. We're working in the Gettysburg Basin (Gettysburg Formation) right across the line in Maryland and hit beetle larvae and lots of millipede, beetle, and cricket trackways. Also a small site that produced one very small suspect beetle amid a load of leaves and clam shrimp. In the Triassic, I'd suggest anytime you start hitting clam shrimp mixed with plants is the perfect environment to keep an eye out for the bugs (and fish). There is no reason the strata we are working in Maryland 15 minutes across the Mason-Dixon Line do not make it into Pa. Just too tied up on the sites to explore further.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone i'm new here. Does anyone know where to find insect fossils in or around central PA?

We recently spent a half day at St. Clair, and were wondering why there aren't more insects there considering there are so many intact ferns and trees? Would there be boring insects in the trunks or branches? Why not insects among the leaves? We were curious about this as we sorted through the mass of intact leaves. You would think there would be a few insects trapped when so many leaves were captured, totally intact.