Interesting Fossil Comparisons

dhk

If you have some interesting fossil combinations please post them. Just wondering what people might come up with. I am posting a pic of my 6 inch Meg tooth sitting in a 7 inch dino track. Even though these two were separated by 150 million years and environments, it might have been an interesting match up. Just something to ponder.

post-3786-0-74168600-1296575809_thumb.jpg

One more very interesting fossil comparison. This is my 4 inch Asaphus p. (russian trilobite, 500 myo) with my Branchiosaur p. (2 inches and 300+ myo) with my 6 inch Meg. tooth (15 myo (aprox)). We are looking at three species separated by 450 million years of evolution sitting together. Just boggles my mind. This hobby is great.

post-3786-0-52084100-1296576730_thumb.jpg

Great fossils... Difficult to get your head round the length of time involved really...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I don't have pictures handy (nor do I have all the fossils available), but let me describe them... Here is a allosaur bone from the Morrison Fm and a T rex toe bone from the the Lance Fm. And the second photo is the same T rex bone and a mammoth tooth. There is as much time between the Jurassic dinos of the Morrison Fm and the late Cretaceous dinos of the Lance/HellCreek Fm as the is between the latter and the mammoth (and us). Ever since someone pointed this out to me, I have used it on museum tours every chance I get. Its a great little tidbit.