From Megalodon Usa?

Dent de requin

Well, not been here for long but South and North carolina are some good spots for finding megs. Venice beach also if you're into a bit of diving.

BTW, sent you a message couple of days ago regarding cretaceous teeth you posted :D

Without getting into specific locations, I believe the most common are from South Carolina, but megs are also known from North Carolina, Georgia, Massachusetts, Maryland, Virginia, Florida and California

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Without getting into specific locations, I believe the most common are from South Carolina, but megs are also known from North Carolina, Georgia, Massachusetts, Maryland, Virginia, Florida and California

sorry for my English :unsure: , I wanted to know if the sites in your teeth, it different colors? here in belgium we find that the black comes from the USA every time he misses the label of origin.

There is an area of South Florida named "Bone Valley" and you can find numerous Megalodon teeth on ebay and in collections that come from there. There are a number of phosphate mines which strip off layers of overburden and I think most of the colorful Meg teeth come from Bone Valley.

I hunt the Peace River which you can track on any Florida Map. I have found hundreds of Meg teeth and fragments, but only 20 complete ones in the Peace. All of them are colored the same as my Avatar, Black crown on a black root.

Blackwater river — A type of river that drains pine flatwoods and cypress swamps and has dark, stained waters from decomposing plant material. The Withlacoochee, Hillsborough and Peace rivers are examples....

I am unsure why Megs from the Peace River are predominately black

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

There is an area of South Florida named "Bone Valley" and you can find numerous Megalodon teeth on ebay and in collections that come from there. There are a number of phosphate mines which strip off layers of overburden and I think most of the colorful Meg teeth come from Bone Valley.

I hunt the Peace River which you can track on any Florida Map. I have found hundreds of Meg teeth and fragments, but only 20 complete ones in the Peace. All of them are colored the same as my Avatar, Black crown on a black root.

I am unsure why Megs from the Peace River are predominately black

Because they usually lay in Tanic acid which results from the breakdown of organic debris that litters the Peace.. I don't know if that's true or not but I did sleep at a holiday inn express once! :P

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Megs from Massachusetts?? I never knew that.

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

What about Texas aren't there some coastal areas that where under water during the Miocene, and Pliocene epoch.

Megs from Massachusetts?? I never knew that.

It was a new one to me as well, but there was a recent thread about collecting on Martha's Vineyard

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/topic/18242-marthas-vineyard-sharks-teeth/page__p__201613__hl__vineyard__fromsearch__1#entry201613

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

sorry for my English :unsure: , I wanted to know if the sites in your teeth, it different colors? here in belgium we find that the black comes from the USA every time he misses the label of origin.

A good question, here are some typical colors

Top Row: Bone Valley Quarry(s) mostly from the same one, they come in various colors (late Miocene to Pliocene)

Second Row: South Carolina River Early? Miocene(2), South Carolina land site Early Miocene(2), California Mid-Miocene(1)

Third Row: Maryland Potomac River Mid-Miocene(1), Maryland Chesapeake Bay Mid-Miocene(1), Virginia Quarry Mid-Miocene(2), Virginia Potomac River Mid-Miocene(2), Virginia other river Mid-Miocene(2)

Fourth Row: North Carolina Quarry Pliocene(2), North Carolina Stream(1)

Fifth Row: North Carolina Quarry Mid-Miocene(2) Late Miocene Rework(1) Early Pliocene(3)

100_0093_800.jpg

Edited by Paleoc

There are a few places in Massachusetts to get good Megs. The south facing beaches on outer Cape Cod along the national seashore, mostly wash ups and on both Nantucket (*lots of people*) and Martha's Vinyard where there are a lot less people. I have seen a couple very nice 6"+ from Martha's Vinyard. Not just Megs but other species as well are common in these places.

Megs in South Carolina can be the typical black and gray, but can also be white, brown, creme, yellow, orangish, bluish-green, etc. It is all about the layer they are found in. Most of the black and gray ones have spent too much time out of the original layer and have been stained by the river. But even with exposure time in the river, the color will vary depending on the river they are found in. Experience fossil hunters in the area can usually identify the river a tooth came from and sometimes even the relative location on the river by the color of a tooth.

Edited by DeloiVarden

A good question, here are some typical colors

Top Row: Bone Valley Quarry(s) mostly from the same one, they come in various colors (late Miocene to Pliocene)

Second Row: South Carolina River Early? Miocene(2), South Carolina land site Early Miocene(2), California Mid-Miocene(1)

Third Row: Maryland Potomac River Mid-Miocene(1), Maryland Chesapeake Bay Mid-Miocene(1), Virginia Quarry Mid-Miocene(2), Virginia Potomac River Mid-Miocene(2), Virginia other river Mid-Miocene(2)

Fourth Row: North Carolina Quarry Pliocene(2), North Carolina Stream(1)

Fifth Row: North Carolina Quarry Mid-Miocene(2) Late Miocene Rework(1) Early Pliocene(3)

100_0093_800.jpg

That bottom right meg is quite a gem. What is the slant length if you don't mind me asking?

That bottom right meg is quite a gem. What is the slant length if you don't mind me asking?

Right at 6 inches. Right root lobe was rebuilt as it was missing when found.

Megs in South Carolina can be the typical black and gray, but can also be white, brown, creme, yellow, orangish, bluish-green, etc. It is all about the layer they are found in. Most of the black and gray ones have spent too much time out of the original layer and have been stained by the river. But even with exposure time in the river, the color will vary depending on the river they are found in. Experience fossil hunters in the area can usually identify the river a tooth came from and sometimes even the relative location on the river by the color of a tooth.

I been interested in colors and how they survive. All of my Megs so far are Peace River Black. Bull and Sand Tigers can be shiny and blue gray. Recently, I found a spot for Makos. Initially, all were Peace River Black, but lately a few are blue gray and shine.

Curiosity:

Are these colorful Makos transitioning to Peace River Black? Seemes likely

Is the difference between colorful Makos and their darker brethren that the colorful Mako have recently moved into the river from original matrix?

Any guesses on what "recently" might mean? 10k, 500k, 2mya ??

post-2220-0-54530200-1297263241_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-39222100-1297263252_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-79812600-1297263264_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I been interested in colors and how they survive. All of my Megs so far are Peace River Black. Bull and Sand Tigers can be shiny and blue gray. Recently, I found a spot for Makos. Initially, all were Peace River Black, but lately a few are blue gray and shine.

Curiosity:

Are these colorful Makos transitioning to Peace River Black? Seemes likely

Is the difference between colorful Makos and their darker brethren that the colorful Mako have recently moved into the river from original matrix?

Any guesses on what "recently" might mean? 10k, 500k, 2mya ??

I don't think it takes anywhere near as long as 10K years. I believe it could take as little as a year or less. The reason is that especially in the darker more stained rivers I find modern trash (plastic and even glass) stained black. Now there might be a difference between the grime that can be cleaned off verses that which as turned the teeth dark. But if it is truely due to tannic acid in the water, acid can work quick even when dilute. I have some teeth which appear to only be half stained which makes me believe they were only partially sticking out of the layer into the water. The layer usually erodes pretty quick releasing new fossils on a regular basis making me think that the staining happens quickly. I also find teeth laying on the bottom of the river and there is a color difference between the front and back also supporting this. Moral of the lesson, hurry and go get them!

Right at 6 inches. Right root lobe was rebuilt as it was missing when found.

I am not a big fan of repaired teeth because the market is flooded with them and it is getting harder and harder to tell the difference. In anycase though, that is a beautiful tooth!