The Most Famous Chinese Trilobite

CAESAR

Neodrepanura [=Drepanura] is a very important trilobite genus and probably valuable as the most famous and significant trilobite in China. Although the Neodrepanura-bearing rocks which are known as the famous "bat-stones" having been quarried commercially for several centuries, not a single complete specimen had been found until the present study.

Recently, an entire exoskeleton of Neodrepanura [=Drepanura] has been found from the Cambrian Kushan Formation in Laiwu, Shandong, China. It is the first record of a complete specimen since the genus was established by Bergeron (1899) over 110 years ago.

Neodrepanura [=Drepanura] is a very important trilobite genus and probably valuable as the most famous and significant trilobite in China. Although the Neodrepanura-bearing rocks which are known as the famous “bat-stones” having been quarried commercially for several centuries, not a single complete specimen had been found until the present study.

Here is the link:

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a930509677~db=all~jumptype=rss

Thanks for the link Caesar, that's a legendary trilobite. What will be next a complete Terataspis grandis ? :P

No wonder you just changed your avatar to match the timing of this discovery no doubt? We need photos! B)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks for the link Caesar, that's a legendary trilobite. What will be next a complete Terataspis grandis ? :P

No wonder you just changed your avatar to match the timing of this discovery no doubt? We need photos! B)

Yes we need photos! I'd rather not have to sign up for something just to see one pic.

Is that what the thing is supposed to look like - the silhouette in his avatar??

The thing in CAESAR's avatar is the pygidium of said trilobite. Bat Stones (or Swallow Stones) are packed with numerous such pygidia, which as their name suggests, resemble bats or swallows. I've seen plenty of examples of these pygidial hash plates, but never a genuine complete specimen. I have also seen various artistic creations on eBay that purport to be the real thing, but none can really be taken seriously!

It would be interesting to see what the beast actually looks like!!

Dan

Recently, an entire exoskeleton of Neodrepanura [=Drepanura] has been found from the Cambrian Kushan Formation in Laiwu, Shandong, China. It is the first record of a complete specimen since the genus was established by Bergeron (1899) over 110 years ago.

Neodrepanura [=Drepanura] is a very important trilobite genus and probably valuable as the most famous and significant trilobite in China. Although the Neodrepanura-bearing rocks which are known as the famous “bat-stones” having been quarried commercially for several centuries, not a single complete specimen had been found until the present study.

Here is the link:

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a930509677~db=all~jumptype=rss

Congratulations are in order for our very esteemed and newly published author Qing Liu (Caesar). :goodjob:

The trilobite Neodrepanura premesnili is absolutely magnificent to behold with its striking caramel and chocolate coloring and perfectly articulated and complete preservation. If ever there were an occasion to be overjoyed at a newly discovered trilobite, this would be it. As your very first published paper describing the trilobite Neodrepanura premesnili it's quite evident by the scope of this initial discovery that you will have a distinguished career as a preeminent scholar of trilobites.

All of us at TFF are honored to know you and thrilled at your great success! :thumbsu:

Congratulations are in order for our very esteemed and newly published author Qing Liu (Caesar). :goodjob:

The trilobite Neodrepanura premesnili is absolutely magnificent to behold with its striking caramel and chocolate coloring and perfectly articulated and complete preservation. If ever there were an occasion to be overjoyed at a newly discovered trilobite, this would be it. As your very first published paper describing the trilobite Neodrepanura premesnili it's quite evident by the scope of this initial discovery that you will have a distinguished career as a preeminent scholar of trilobites.

All of us at TFF are honored to know you and thrilled at your great success! :thumbsu:

Thank you very much Scott!

I am so flattered and I am just a beginner. :wub:

Congratulations Caesar, and thanks for sharing your great find here!!!!!

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

:bow: :bow: :bow: HAIL CAESAR :bow: :bow: :bow:

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

I could let you guys keep guessing, however I figured I would post the article. By the way, looks nothing like I thought it would.

enjoy!

-PzF

Guest N.AL.hunter

Congratulations!! What a wonderful find and a great specimen. Thanks also to Paleo...fish for posting the article so we could see the bug.

I could let you guys keep guessing, however I figured I would post the article. By the way, looks nothing like I thought it would.

enjoy!

-PzF

Breathtaking isn't it? I was going to post the PDF at 2:00am PST but felt like a dramatic build up was in order. :o

The natives hadn't even begun to grow restless yet! You're a softie PzF ... I'd still have everyone on the bubble! :P

Congratulations are in order for our very esteemed and newly published author Qing Liu (Caesar).

Good Heavens! I'm a little slow on the uptake... :blush:

Congratulations Caesar!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

enjoy!

-PzF

Thank for coming through with the free article as a bunch of people like me stopped at the gates with our pockets emptied....

Thank for coming through with the free article as a bunch of people like me stopped at the gates with our pockets emptied....

You're welcome! No problem.

cheers,

PzF

Thank you very much Scott!

I'm more-or-less a beginner too but I haven't authored or coauthored a paper yet, so congratulations nonetheless!

Re: paleozoicfish - I agree, it looks nothing like what I pictured either! Which goes to show how difficult it must be to reconstruct any organism based only on a part.

Eric

Great work Liu,

pretty impressive for a beginner!!

What's equally impressive is that you were generous enough to send me a pdf copy of your paper!

Thank you for your generosity and for sharing your amazing new find with us all here on The Fossil Forum.

Dan

• 1 month later...

btw, I found this front plate in a fossil textbook from 1922, just liked the illustration...

Ordovician Fossils Of North China

The pygidium of Neodrepanura premesnili is also the logo of Nanjing Institute of Geology and Palaeontology, Chinese Academy of Sciences (NIGPAS) :P

post-912-0-27592100-1301498683_thumb.jpg

Wow, what a beautiful fossil. Now why weren't there any others, were these trilos immortal and only molts were available for fossilization, or was there some uberpredator(or scavenger) that prevented whole trilos from staying in one piece? It just seems a bit strange to a neophyte like me.

Legendary trilobite meets legendary trilobite worker ... perfect match !! :D

What will be next Qing ?? :eat popcorn:

Archived