The Most Famous Chinese Trilobite

CAESAR

Extra Extra...... our friend Qing Liu has a new paper published. To compliment his previous exciting discovery of the only known complete specimen of Neodrepanura premesnili is this exciting ventral specimen. The paper was just published in the last week and is presently available as an open access file. Based on 144 downloads of the original file in this thread I thought there might be some interest among the trilobite enthusiasts to add this pdf as well.

Congratulations Qing! :):D:)

LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations again, Caesar, and thanks for the PDF Scott!:)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

• 1 year later...

I'm a little late to the party. Does anyone have an image of the complete specimen? Apparently the links have been removed. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

I'm a little late to the party. Does anyone have an image of the complete specimen? Apparently the links have been removed. It would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

Clarification. I have the article describing the ventral morphology. What I would like is the previous article describing the dorsal morphology.....or just a photograph of the entire specimen, dorsally. I recently obtained a "bat stone" with many cranadiums and I was curious if any were from Neodrepanura. Any help would be much appreciated.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

On 8/13/2013 at 7:01 AM, TOM BUCKLEY said:

Clarification. I have the article describing the ventral morphology. What I would like is the previous article describing the dorsal morphology.....or just a photograph of the entire specimen, dorsally. I recently obtained a "bat stone" with many cranadiums and I was curious if any were from Neodrepanura. Any help would be much appreciated.

Tom

Hi Tom,

The figures are attached and I just sent the PDF via PM.

Neodrepanura.jpg

Liu, Q., & Lei, Q. (2011)

First known complete specimen of Neodrepanura (Trilobita: Damesellidae) from the Cambrian Kushan Formation, Shandong, China.

Alcheringa: An Australasian Journal of Palaeontology 35(3):397-403

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 4 years later...

I was browsing through this forum to find something about Drepanura. About 10 years ago I was in China on holidays and saw these two ladies selling something that looks like a trilobite. On closer look it was a complete trilobite about 3 1/2" long. Back in those days I didn't know what it was so I bought it. It turn out to be a complete Neodrepanura premesili. I am getting ready all the tools to get it prep.

Drepanura P.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, paleozoo said:

I was browsing through this forum to find something about Drepanura. About 10 years ago I was in China on holidays and saw these two ladies selling something that looks like a trilobite.

Great find. Thanks for posting a picture.

Please, post a picture when you are finished preparing it.

Yours,

Paul H.

2 hours ago, paleozoo said:

I was browsing through this forum to find something about Drepanura. About 10 years ago I was in China on holidays and saw these two ladies selling something that looks like a trilobite. On closer look it was a complete trilobite about 3 1/2" long. Back in those days I didn't know what it was so I bought it. It turn out to be a complete Neodrepanura premesili. I am getting ready all the tools to get it prep.

How fantastic! :trilo:

Can't wait to see it prepped. 

Good luck. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Something looks fishy about that trilobite... Hope it's not fake!

I agree. :( There are no axial segments, and the pleura are not symmetrical. It looks like a rough carving.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Compared to Neodepraneura premesili there are too few pleural lobes (7, should be 11).  The axis has been scratched in with a chisel or similar straight edged tool; you can see the edges are unnaturally straight.  Also the cranidium seems to be oriented front to back.  It's possible the specimen is a slightly disarticulated but complete trilobite that was heavily weathered and detailed have been "enhanced" crudely.  It's also possible that there was an authentic pygidium and backwards cranidium, and the thorax was added in to fill the gap.  Some prepping should reveal the truth.

Don

Does the matrix around the trilo look right to you guys, or does it look like some sort of clay/filler added to smooth over scratch marks etc?