Fossil Shell

msanch12

FOSSIL PIC

Hey guys! well last weekend I was in Lopez Lake, california for a hike up to Little falls. As we drove up the mountain we decided to take a little break and while I was taking some pictures of the scenery I kicked a rock over and I was amazed with what i saw. It was an engraved shell in a rock. Can anyone help me estimate the age of this thing? Like could this type of "process" occur within 100 years? 50? 1000? I found this up in the mountain so I would imagine its pretty old. Thanks!

Martin

Please go to the link provided ("FOSSIL PIC") above to see the picture of my fossil. I couldnt post it here since it 7.9 MB and not 2 MB

FOSSIL PIC

Hey guys! well last weekend I was in Lopez Lake, california for a hike up to Little falls. As we drove up the mountain we decided to take a little break and while I was taking some pictures of the scenery I kicked a rock over and I was amazed with what i saw. It was an engraved shell in a rock. Can anyone help me estimate the age of this thing? I found this up in the mountain so I would imagine its pretty old. Thanks!

Martin

Please go to the link provided ("FOSSIL PIC") above to see the picture of my fossil. I couldnt post it here since it 7.9 MB and not 2 MB

Very nice fossil shell that you found! :)

Even more cool is your great musical talent! ;)

You give new meaning to "Martin Guitar" ... Thanks!! B)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I'd go for scallop.(grilled with butter), though I have no real Idea. Nice fossil with good detail in matrix :D

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

...Please go to the link provided ("FOSSIL PIC") above to see the picture of my fossil. I couldnt post it here since it 7.9 MB and not 2 MB

Martin, here's the pic of your shell...

Daryl.

post-2077-0-43850800-1297126243_thumb.jpg

Very nice fossil shell that you found! :)

Even more cool is your great musical talent! ;)

You give new meaning to "Martin Guitar" ... Thanks!! B)

I know right? Im so happy I stumbled a crossed it. lol appreciate your kind words man :) do u might have an idea how old this might be?

I'd go for scallop.(grilled with butter), though I have no real Idea. Nice fossil with good detail in matrix :D

lol oo bummer :( well thanks for replying !

Martin, here's the pic of your shell...

Daryl.

Thanks Daryl :) By the way, do you might have an idea how old this is? Like could this "process" occur say 100 years ago?

Very nice find. N.AL.Hunter and squali are both right since scallop is the common name for members of the superfamily pectinacea, but clams are in a separate family of bivalves. Is Lopez Lake Cretaceous or Jurassic?

But your question about how long it takes to create such a fossil is totally different than how old it is. It could take just a few years to create your fossil (we may never know), but like one of the others said, it seems (from the geology maps) to be 5 to 26 million years old.

Very nice find. N.AL.Hunter and squali are both right since scallop is the common name for members of the superfamily pectinacea, but clams are in a separate family of bivalves. Is Lopez Lake Cretaceous or Jurassic?

Thank you :). Oh I see. Im sorry I dont understand your question. I just know that Lopez Lake is a recreational area and a lake that is considered to be a county park near the padres national forest.

Thank you :). Oh I see. Im sorry I dont understand your question. I just know that Lopez Lake is a recreational area and a lake that is considered to be a county park near the padres national forest.

Nevermind i get the question now ;)

thanks squalicorax

so to answer msanch12's question

5 million to 26 million years ago

I see, so the fossil i found might be 5 -26 millions years old due to the Miocene geology maps? is that correct?

But your question about how long it takes to create such a fossil is totally different than how old it is. It could take just a few years to create your fossil (we may never know), but like one of the others said, it seems (from the geology maps) to be 5 to 26 million years old.

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate the post!

Yeah! I agreed on scallop. This species still thrive in Philippine shore.

Archived