Tooth And Ammonite Id

Cody

This is 4 pictures of a tooth i found today in a mid-cretaceous layer in mansfield.I was hoping yall could identify this tooth.And the other picture is what i'm hoping is a peice of ammonite.Can yall help me out on that too?

Thanks Everyone.

-Cody

post-438-1212627874_thumb.jpg

post-438-1212627879_thumb.jpg

post-438-1212627883_thumb.jpg

post-438-1212627887_thumb.jpg

post-438-1212627893_thumb.jpg

post-438-1212627904_thumb.jpg

Lowes Farm Krew For Life!

~C*J*J*D*D*G*P~

My Shark Teeth Website.MANSFIELD EXCLUSIVES!!

Your tooth looks like a bone and Dan is the man that can tell you about your ammonite if Lance doesn't get to it first.

Your tooth looks more like the part of an arm bone, or the final end of a rib.Defenetly not a tooth.There`s no enamel,and no sign of root;instead, it looks porous.

Sorry! :(

I say the second one is a limb bone of some reptile as well. I've found similar material in the Lower Britton fm, which outcrops in the Mansfield area. As for the ammonite frag, assuming it is from the Woodbine to Britton sequence, I'd guess that it is from something in the Acanthoceras spectrum, but then again we aren't looking at the whole critter and I'm not exactly sure what formation it was found in.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The "tooth" is part of an Enchodus palatine. Enchodus is a common bony fish in the Cretaceous of North America. Just do a google search and you should be able to come up with quite a few sources.

If Mansfield has Woodbine exposures, your Ammonite looks a lot like this one I found in the Woodbine at DFW. You will have to get an Ammonite pro to confirm & I.D. it though. The partial one was found in the Eagleford shell.

(Couldn't upload second photo)

post-15-1212688534_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Hybodus, I don't think that's enchodus...the texture is too much bone not enough tooth.

I have a partial Champsosaur femur from Hell Creek fm Montana that looks remarkably like that fossil show.

The bone looks kind of "turtley" to me.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Hi all,

Not a palatine tooth, but part of the palatine where the tooth (or palatine fang) attaches... I am currently in the middle of a move, so all specimens and back up drives containing good images are packed and in storage, but attached are a couple of crummy pics.

First one is of 4 large palatines missing the fang... note the section where the fang would attach, as this is what I am referring to.

Second is various palatine fragments - minus the fang as well.

post-213-1212784523_thumb.jpg

post-213-1212784596_thumb.jpg