What Is Your Favorite Fossil?

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

well ill start, my favorite fossil is my 3 1/16 inch megalodon we got to the beach real late and there was nothing aroud but a black bone stuck in the ground, i moved the bolder covering it to see that it was actually a meg i was so happy!!!!!! its made my year.

post-17-1212703671_thumb.jpg

For me, it's no-contest. A fully inflated oligocene bird egg from St. Gerand le Puy (France). It is on a matrix of "indusial limestone", which is composed entirely of caddisfly larva tubes (Phryganea), which are constructed of pin-head-sized snail shells. There is also a bird bone on the matrix, which may or may not have anything to do with the egg. The whole shebang is limned in a coat of travertine.

It is the best looking bird fossil in my display, but it is my favorite because of the research involved in figuring it all out; when it all came together, my pulse rate definately went off the charts!

post-423-1212704940_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

wow thats great!!!! is the egg solid?

Thanks! The egg is hollow; I got a doctor to snake a laproscope through a deformation crack to see whether there was anything inside, but it is empty.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest solius symbiosus

This is one of my favorites. It is a coprolitic gastropod(Cyclonema varicosum) attached to the anal tube of a Glyptocrinus sp.

I found this 25 years ago, and as far as I know, it was the first one found in my area(Ordovician of Ky)

post-179-1212708320_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
Thanks! The egg is hollow; I got a doctor to snake a laproscope through a deformation crack to see whether there was anything inside, but it is empty.

aww thats to bad would have just made this an even greater fossil!

...It is a coprolitic gastropod(Cyclonema varicosum) attached to the anal tube of a Glyptocrinus sp.

Cool! I'll bet you had a good time figuring that one out.

here some of my

What's the neat looking thing at top-left?

I posted my favorite fossil that is in my posession earlier, but there are two that are my favorite fantasies (and both actually exist). One, which I do not have an image of, is a woodpecker nest cavity in petrified wood (Eocene, Arizona). The other is a hummingbird egg in Dominican amber:

post-423-1212720953_thumb.jpg

Im not a hunter, am just a trader.. :(

but i love to collect some..

my fav fossils is Ammonites..

too bad i have less information about it.. :(

sig.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
Im not a hunter, am just a trader.. :(

but i love to collect some..

my fav fossils is Ammonites..

too bad i have less information about it.. :(

i like ammonites i only own one but it has some nice color

I have a few that are favorite's so I'll just show then all. B)B)B):D

post-23-1212788951_thumb.jpg

post-23-1212789021_thumb.jpg

post-23-1212789051_thumb.jpg

post-23-1212789119_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Guest solius symbiosus
Cool! I'll bet you had a good time figuring that one out.

The symbiotic relationship of coprolitic gastropods and crinoids were known from the Cincinnatian of Ohio(and other areas), so I knew what it is was as soon as I saw the piece.

The award for "Most Personally Coveted Fossil Belonging to a Forum Member" goes to Harry's Titanis walleri claw core. Not that I don't see dozens of wonderous fossils posted here every day, it's just that this one would fit into my fossil bird display sooooooooo well! (I have no "terror bird" material at all).

post-423-1212796501_thumb.jpg

I have several - two were collected by Mr. RJB himself, and are either at Sierra College or UC Berkeley (but are currently on loan to me). The other two are two cetacean skulls I collected in 2006 and 2007. These fossils all tie for my favorites.

1). True Porpoise cranium, ~3 Ma. This is an undescribed, bizarre type of porpoise with a lower jaw that protruded about 4-5 inches beyond the tip of the upper jaw; more complete specimens with jaws are known from the San Diego area (a friend of mine will be describing the species). Found in the Purisima Formation, August 2006.

2). Cranium of the archaic baleen whale Herpetocetus bramblei, ~6 Ma. This is a very weird baleen whale with a highly modified jaw joint. The whole animal would have been no longer than 12-15 feet. Also from Purisima Formation, collected July 2007.

3). Partial forelimb of the extinct double-tusked walrus Dusignathus santacruzensis. The forelimb was collected by RJB from Humboldt County, and is about 6 Ma. The Metacarpal I is from the same species, but from the Purisima Formation. I love pinniped limb bones - they are often (depending upon which elements) identifiable to a genus, and sometimes even species.

4). (Possibly my absolute favorite). Associated jaws of the extinct fur seal Callorhinus gilmorei, ~2 Ma, collected by RJB from Humboldt County, CA. I'm currently writing up a paper describing this specimen and some other material that RJB collected.

Bobby

post-225-1212798011_thumb.jpg

post-225-1212798097_thumb.jpg

post-225-1212798146_thumb.jpg

post-225-1212798681_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
I have several - two were collected by Mr. RJB himself, and are either at Sierra College or UC Berkeley (but are currently on loan to me). The other two are two cetacean skulls I collected in 2006 and 2007. These fossils all tie for my favorites.

1). True Porpoise cranium, ~3 Ma. This is an undescribed, bizarre type of porpoise with a lower jaw that protruded about 4-5 inches beyond the tip of the upper jaw; more complete specimens with jaws are known from the San Diego area (a friend of mine will be describing the species). Found in the Purisima Formation, August 2006.

2). Cranium of the archaic baleen whale Herpetocetus bramblei, ~6 Ma. This is a very weird baleen whale with a highly modified jaw joint. The whole animal would have been no longer than 12-15 feet. Also from Purisima Formation, collected July 2007.

3). Partial forelimb of the extinct double-tusked walrus Dusignathus santacruzensis. The forelimb was collected by RJB from Humboldt County, and is about 6 Ma. The Metacarpal I is from the same species, but from the Purisima Formation. I love pinniped limb bones - they are often (depending upon which elements) identifiable to a genus, and sometimes even species.

4). (Possibly my absolute favorite). Associated jaws of the extinct fur seal Callorhinus gilmorei, ~2 Ma, collected by RJB from Humboldt County, CA. I'm currently writing up a paper describing this specimen and some other material that RJB collected.

Bobby

wow that is some great fossils you got there!!!!!!

You know what my favorite part of this topic is? Not just the fabulous fossils, but the stories that go with them.

Great thread!

Guest bmorefossil
Prob my favirote!! These are two of my dads teeth.They fascinate me beacuse they look almost identical and make me think,"Those are probably from the same shark."

some great teeth i guess they could be from the same shark nice finds.

Guest bmorefossil

here are my other fossils tied for my favorite:

1. perfect drum fish jaw!!!!

2. my first giant thrasher tooth

3. the best looking mako i have ever seen from maryland, it almost looks like someone dropped one of their lee creek teeth on the ground for me to pick up.

4. A perfect seal molar!!!

]

post-17-1212808954_thumb.jpg

post-17-1212809171_thumb.jpg

post-17-1212809178_thumb.jpg

post-17-1212809416_thumb.jpg