Newbee Going To St. Clair, Pa Need Some Site Directions

suprmatch

.....they, I don't know if its the county or the town, wants to turn the area loaded with fossils into a garbage dump....

Who owns the land? Sounds like someone stands to make money, and you can probably track it back to some politician... :angry:

...Oh by the way I found some amazing specimens.

PICS! PICS! (You didn't think you could get away with that, did you?)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 3 weeks later...

I live in alliance, OH and am studying geology. If someone lives near st.claire Pa. and goes there often I would like to maybe take a trip there with them and they can show me around and so I dont get lost. I see that it's fairly close to me and there isnt alot of places around here to dig. Thanks and I hope someone replys. email me if you are up to an early morning of digging lol. Thanks and hope to hear from someone.

Sarah

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I took a trip with Hubby and the kids up to St Clair yesterday (President's Day). It was a 2.5 hour trip for us. When we got to the location with the directions above. (they were great THANKS) We found about 10 guys out there shooting into the pits. YES SHOOTING. They said they go out there regularly and that it's legal for them to be there?? So there was no way we could go down there and do any sort of collecting. This was pretty disappointing for all of us. I guess we could have started heading down and they would have had to stop shooting, but they did have the guns :faint: I am also concerned about going in the future. How well do these folk check to be sure there isn't a six year old down there digging in the dirt?

The mall mentioned above has a Lowes up behind it now. We stopped and banged on some rocks but didn't find anything.

We drove over to Deer Lake but couldn't find anywhere that looked good for collecting. I just wanted the kids to bring something home after such a LONG trip. There did seem to be lots of shale cliffs and stuff all through the hills there but I wouldn't know which had anything in it to save my life.

We would like to make another trip up but during a business day. Can someone give me better directions to the Deer Lake collection location? I tried googling with no luck. Found some photos but no directions.

Thanks so much for your help. My kids would be very happy if could come back with something next time.

Thanks,

mama23kids

Hi all,

I took a trip with Hubby and the kids up to St Clair yesterday (President's Day). It was a 2.5 hour trip for us. When we got to the location with the directions above. (they were great THANKS) We found about 10 guys out there shooting into the pits. YES SHOOTING. They said they go out there regularly and that it's legal for them to be there?? So there was no way we could go down there and do any sort of collecting. This was pretty disappointing for all of us. I guess we could have started heading down and they would have had to stop shooting, but they did have the guns :faint: I am also concerned about going in the future. How well do these folk check to be sure there isn't a six year old down there digging in the dirt?

The mall mentioned above has a Lowes up behind it now. We stopped and banged on some rocks but didn't find anything.

We drove over to Deer Lake but couldn't find anywhere that looked good for collecting. I just wanted the kids to bring something home after such a LONG trip. There did seem to be lots of shale cliffs and stuff all through the hills there but I wouldn't know which had anything in it to save my life.

We would like to make another trip up but during a business day. Can someone give me better directions to the Deer Lake collection location? I tried googling with no luck. Found some photos but no directions.

Thanks so much for your help. My kids would be very happy if could come back with something next time.

Thanks,

mama23kids

Hi

I will give you directions. Don't worry, you will get there. There will be no shooting where you will be going. Please email me at tell_mike@hotmail.com

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Great place it was our first Fossil hunt. I Used to find sharks teeth as a kid in Goose Creek SC. This place in Saint Clair was great. Just as described Fossils every where. you see them scattered all over the ground. we brought back some that were just tossed to the side.

Great thing is we only live 10 minutes from it. There is an old strip mine just behind our house we're going to go up there and check it out as I know there is shale there. There a Couple of boot leg mines that go in vein of coal and there is a layer of shale above the coal vein. Will check it out who knows.

brian

...There is an old strip mine just behind our house we're going to go up there and check it out as I know there is shale there. There a Couple of boot leg mines that go in vein of coal and there is a layer of shale above the coal vein. Will check it out who knows.

brian

Let us know how you do, and post pics if you can!

(Mind the snakes, ya' hear?)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 3 years later...

Planning a trip to St. Clair - concerned about the notes about sites being closed, mining folks stopping collecting and so forth. Any suggestions on how to make sure we don't go there and get evicted or prevented from collecting? Any specific directions to "permitted" sites that would narrow our search? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to go to St. Clair this friday or saturday (aug 10th or 11th), does anyone want to meet up there? I'd love to meet you and have some company while looking for fossils. Let me know what day is better for you.

• 4 years later...

Sadly, this site is now closed to fossil collecting, except by special permission from Reading Anthracite.

See This Thread.

Apparently, they are only allowing school groups in to collect at this time.

Contact Reading Anthracite via the provided link above, for any questions.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I heard someone was caught using a rock saw to take slabs out for reselling. It only takes one person to screw it up for everybody. 

2 hours ago, TrilobiteLou said:

... It only takes one person to screw it up for everybody. 

Unfortunately that is always true, and so the onus is on us to present the best possible face to represent the fossil collecting community, as well as to speak up when we see something inappropriate going on. 

Don

• I found this Informative 3