Maryland Paleocene Shark Tooth - Weird?

Sharktoothguy11222

Alright everyone, this tooth is from a paleocene site in Maryland. Instead of the normal cusplets on each side of the blade, each side has an array of serrations instead of cusplets. It is about 50 million years old as it comes out of the early Paleocene.

Any and all ideas are welcome, thanks!

post-282-1212868809_thumb.jpgpost-282-1212868819_thumb.jpg

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

?Similar to Anomotodon plicatus?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Could you give us a size or scale? Do you know what formation it is from?

It's hard to tell from the photo, does the main tooth have fine serrations?

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

Could you give us a size or scale? Do you know what formation it is from?

It's hard to tell from the photo, does the main tooth have fine serrations?

Sorry all, I was in a rush and had to leave quickly, so I kind oh haphazardly put it up a little too quickly.

The actual tooth is not in my posession, so I have no accurate gauge of size, though I believe it to be a little over an inch. It is from an undescribed location on private property, NOT from the Chesapeake Bay. The main tooth does'nt have any serrations, only the "cusplets", though I suppose the serrations could have bee water worn.

Hope that answers all your questions, thanks!

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

I would say its Anomotodon novus. The "serrated" shoulder or cusplet is some sort of abnormality but it isn't that unheard of. There was actually another thread sometime in the past 2 months on another sand tiger tooth with a similar abnormality.

• I found this Informative 1

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Check this post and the responses. The one tooth looks very similar to yours. Maybe this will help you. Onr thing to remember is that these teeth are Miocene and Pliocene so they are not from the same time period as yours.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1324

That makes a third actually. I believe the one I was referring to came from someone from SC or Fl. It probably is in the ID thread somewhere, not more than 2 months old.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Carcharhinus Macloti maybe.

Link to Photo Phatfossil website

Link to photo from Nature Preserved website

Probably the most similar is on page 157 of the Smithsonian Contributions to Paleobiology,

Geology and Paleontology of the Lee Creek Mine, North Carolina, III on page 157. That one is a big file if you download the high resolution PDF and the pictures still aren't very good.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

That makes a third actually. I believe the one I was referring to came from someone from SC or Fl. It probably is in the ID thread somewhere, not more than 2 months old.

The one from SC was me, it turned out that it was a Carcharias cuspidata 3rd Anterior