My First Fish

astron

Hello everyone.

I found this late miocene fish last Sunday in middle Crete island, Greece. After decades of searching fossils in my area this is the first such a find in my collection. Is there any possibility for the id?

There is a tiny shape near the fish aswell. I didn't give any meanig on it at first, but as I see it now in magnification, looks to me like a spider. But what's its job aside the fish? :o:D . Is there someone to figure out what could it be?

Many thanks for any interest.

Best regards

Astrinos

post-4345-0-08677200-1297880756_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-41200500-1297880769_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-52032000-1297880782_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-03246300-1297880794_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-43888500-1297880800_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Astrinos P. Damianakis

astron.... Congratulations on the fish... We have a couple of fish experts on here, lets hope one of them can help with the ID.... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

astron.... Congratulations on the fish... We have a couple of fish experts on here, lets hope one of them can help with the ID.... :)

Many thanks. It's for sure!

Best regards

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

You have a very nice way of finishing your matrix pieces Astron, they always look very natural.What do you use to cut and finish your stone like this?

Thanks, Carmine :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Could be a Spratelloides gracilis, but I am not sure.

Do you know this link? http://www.kreta-umweltforum.de/fossilien.htm It's in German, but nevertheless could be quite helpfull. On the right side, you will find links to interesting articles about the Pliocene fish fauna of Crete, the pliocene fish fauna of Prassas, the miocene fish fauna of Makrilia and other fossil locations in Crete.

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

You have a very nice way of finishing your matrix pieces Astron, they always look very natural.What do you use to cut and finish your stone like this?

Thanks, Carmine :)

Welcome Carmine.

It's up to the rock. If soft, like here, a sharp knife with a thin blade. If hard, the things harden. A small hammer and sandparer, but not with the same results of course.

It's self meant that in both cases I use some time and more patience :D

Best regards

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Congrats, Astron :) :)

Many thanks Nando.

I am glad hearing of you again :)

Best regards

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

On 2/16/2011 at 1:29 PM, astron said:

Hello everyone.

I found this late miocene fish last Sunday in middle Crete island, Greece. After decades of searching fossils in my area this is the first such a find in my collection.

Many thanks for any interest.

Best regards

Astrinos

My great friend Astrinos,

Can you hear the THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE all the way from Oregon?

:default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2:

I'm absolutely overjoyed and thrilled about your magnificent fossil fish !! :wub:

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Do you know this link? http://www.kreta-umw...e/fossilien.htm It's in German, but nevertheless could be quite helpfull. On the right side, you will find links to interesting articles about the Pliocene fish fauna of Crete, the pliocene fish fauna of Prassas, the miocene fish fauna of Makrilia and other fossil locations in Crete.

Thomas

Hello Thomas. Many thanks for your answer and for your valuable help. I don't know German but I can use the translater. So the link provided will be very useful to me.

By the chance I have to say that I admired your superb fish collection when presented here. It's really fascinating. Congrats again.

Best regards

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Wonderful find! I'm happy for you :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congrats, Great find! I hope my first fish looks at least half that good! Im not sure whats next to it, maybe water bug?

Many thanks bdevey.

Best regards

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Astrinos,

Congratulations on a spectacular find. :):wub:

It may just be some disarticulated bones/scales near the fish.

As for identification, this is difficult because of the lack of fins or tail for more complete ID.

I think Thomas is probably correct.

Congratulations again, and I hope you find more!:D

Warm Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

astrinos-

You keep showing us some nice finds. Way ta go. That means "Good Job" in American. As for the "spder" I htink it is a pile of broken up fish bomnes. I see no arthropod legs inthere. The parts look mostly fishy. As for what a spider woul dbe doing next to a fish, it would more thanlilely be just random. They just happened to land next to each other on the bottom of the lake.

One note on your photos. I am very impressed with the quality. (The last one is blurry) but I was able to do "Ctrl +" to your pix and magnify them more than any pix I have seen on this forum, which helps a lot for trying to ID a spider, or a pile of fish bones. Way ta go on that as well.

Astrinos,

Congratulations on a spectacular find. :):wub:

It may just be some disarticulated bones near the fish.

As for Identification, this is difficult because of the lack of fins or tail for more complete ID.

I think Thomas is prbably correct.

Congratulations again, and I hope you find more!:D

Warm Regards,

Hello Tim.

Many thanks for your comments, for your help and for your wishes :) . Me so, great Thomas' estimations are always trustful.:wub:

Best wishes

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Nice find. You keep coming up with interesting things. Thanks for sharing.

Many thanks Mike.:) Very kind of you.

Best regards

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Do you know this link? http://www.kreta-umweltforum.de/fossilien.htm It's in German, but nevertheless could be quite helpfull. On the right side, you will find links to interesting articles about the Pliocene fish fauna of Crete, the pliocene fish fauna of Prassas, the miocene fish fauna of Makrilia and other fossil locations in Crete.

Thomas

A bit out of my area, but I think oilshale might have something there.

Good catch :D

Be true to the reality you create.

astrinos-

You keep showing us some nice finds. Way ta go. That means "Good Job" in American. As for the "spder" I htink it is a pile of broken up fish bomnes. I see no arthropod legs inthere. The parts look mostly fishy. As for what a spider woul dbe doing next to a fish, it would more thanlilely be just random. They just happened to land next to each other on the bottom of the lake.

One note on your photos. I am very impressed with the quality. (The last one is blurry) but I was able to do "Ctrl +" to your pix and magnify them more than any pix I have seen on this forum, which helps a lot for trying to ID a spider, or a pile of fish bones. Way ta go on that as well.

Many thanks jpc for your comments and for your valuable help :) . Very kind of you.

Best regards

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

A bit out of my area, but I think oilshale might have something there.

Good catch :D

Many thanks Frank :).

Best regards

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Have to admit it is a great find! :goodjob:

Many thanks.:) Very kind of you.

Best regards

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis