astron

My First Fish

ynot
3 hours ago, Eduard Meinema said:

Hi Astrinos,

Just found this picture of your fossil fish. As far as I can tell right now it is a cyprinodont (also known as killifish; order Cyprinodontiformes).

There are several reports from Crete, all determined as Aphanius crassicaudus (Agassiz, 1839), previously known as Pachylebias crassicaudus.

However, at present I am working on  a catalog of all fossil cyprinodonts and reexamining the specimens of this fish as present in the collection of the museums in London and Paris. This study revealed a new species which will be published shortly.

I would appreciate it if you can tell me more detalis about the locality where you have found this specimen. Also it would be great if you can make a detailed photo of the caudal fin and caudal skeleton. 

About the 'spider' underneath the fish: this probably is Libellula doris, an insect often found together with these kind of fish. 

Regards, Eduard

Welcome to TFF!

Thanks for the information.

jpc

what happened to astrinos?  We haven't seen him or any of his Cretian fossils in a few years.  

Tidgy's Dad
3 hours ago, Eduard Meinema said:

Hi Astrinos,

Just found this picture of your fossil fish. As far as I can tell right now it is a cyprinodont (also known as killifish; order Cyprinodontiformes).

There are several reports from Crete, all determined as Aphanius crassicaudus (Agassiz, 1839), previously known as Pachylebias crassicaudus.

However, at present I am working on  a catalog of all fossil cyprinodonts and reexamining the specimens of this fish as present in the collection of the museums in London and Paris. This study revealed a new species which will be published shortly.

I would appreciate it if you can tell me more detalis about the locality where you have found this specimen. Also it would be great if you can make a detailed photo of the caudal fin and caudal skeleton. 

About the 'spider' underneath the fish: this probably is Libellula doris, an insect often found together with these kind of fish. 

Regards, Eduard

Good info.

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Yes, I used to have a specimen of Libellula doris.

A dragonfly larva, I believe. 

Tidgy's Dad
7 minutes ago, jpc said:

what happened to astrinos?  We haven't seen him or any of his Cretian fossils in a few years.  

He seems not to have logged in since May 2017 and not posted since March 2016.

Eduard Meinema
1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Good info.

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Yes, I used to have a specimen of Libellula doris.

A dragonfly larva, I believe. 

Thanks (from Holland...). And you are correct Libellula is a dragonfly.