My First Fish

astron

Hi Astrinos,

Just found this picture of your fossil fish. As far as I can tell right now it is a cyprinodont (also known as killifish; order Cyprinodontiformes).

There are several reports from Crete, all determined as Aphanius crassicaudus (Agassiz, 1839), previously known as Pachylebias crassicaudus.

However, at present I am working on  a catalog of all fossil cyprinodonts and reexamining the specimens of this fish as present in the collection of the museums in London and Paris. This study revealed a new species which will be published shortly.

I would appreciate it if you can tell me more detalis about the locality where you have found this specimen. Also it would be great if you can make a detailed photo of the caudal fin and caudal skeleton. 

About the 'spider' underneath the fish: this probably is Libellula doris, an insect often found together with these kind of fish. 

Regards, Eduard

• I found this Informative 4

3 hours ago, Eduard Meinema said:

Hi Astrinos,

Just found this picture of your fossil fish. As far as I can tell right now it is a cyprinodont (also known as killifish; order Cyprinodontiformes).

There are several reports from Crete, all determined as Aphanius crassicaudus (Agassiz, 1839), previously known as Pachylebias crassicaudus.

However, at present I am working on  a catalog of all fossil cyprinodonts and reexamining the specimens of this fish as present in the collection of the museums in London and Paris. This study revealed a new species which will be published shortly.

I would appreciate it if you can tell me more detalis about the locality where you have found this specimen. Also it would be great if you can make a detailed photo of the caudal fin and caudal skeleton. 

About the 'spider' underneath the fish: this probably is Libellula doris, an insect often found together with these kind of fish. 

Regards, Eduard

Welcome to TFF!

Thanks for the information.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 hours ago, Eduard Meinema said:

Hi Astrinos,

Regards, Eduard

Good info.

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Yes, I used to have a specimen of Libellula doris.

A dragonfly larva, I believe. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, jpc said:

what happened to astrinos?  We haven't seen him or any of his Cretian fossils in a few years.  

He seems not to have logged in since May 2017 and not posted since March 2016.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Good info.

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco! :)

Yes, I used to have a specimen of Libellula doris.

A dragonfly larva, I believe. 

Thanks (from Holland...). And you are correct Libellula is a dragonfly.