Herkimer Fossil

fossilman7

I found this in Herkimer, NY. I don't think it dates back to fossil animal times, but the head guy showed me a big fossil he said that looked a lot like this. If it is a fossil, what is it? And if not, should I sacrifice it in search of Herkimer Diamonds inside?

post-3913-0-18435700-1298144953_thumb.jpg

post-3913-0-91584200-1298144959_thumb.jpg

post-3913-0-77321500-1298144968_thumb.jpg

That is a chunk of dolostone, and I do not see any fossils exposed on it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That is a chunk of dolostone, and I do not see any fossils exposed on it.

so, should i chop it lookin for diamonds?

Try a google search of stromatolite and New york... I bet you'll find something that looks like your thing there. I say stromatolite. Ancient... very ancient...algae. Although living ones can still easily be seen in one place in Australia.

Sure looks like a stromatolite to me (which can occur in Paleozoic or later rocks, not just Precambrian), if not a stromatoporoid... Either way it's a fossil and I wouldn't bother cutting or breaking it - I doubt you'll find any Herkimer diamonds in it anyway (or have they been known to occur inside such fossils? ..anyone?)

[Just had a thought, could it be travertine?]