Fins, Spines, Or What?

dirtdauber

Need help in identifying the attached fossil for a friend. I haven't seen the speciman in hand but it was collected in the Ripley Fm., Upper Cretaceous (Maastrichtian) in Alabama. Thanks for any help offered.

post-117-0-72488800-1298177735_thumb.jpg post-117-0-58171200-1298177762_thumb.jpg

Ya, looks tail-like with those bones coming off in both directions like that. Even looks like a vert on the left end.

Nice! That's a beauty there.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

I am 99.99% sure it is a portion of the tail section from a fish called Xiphactinus Audax, super nice find.--Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

I am 99.99% sure it is a portion of the tail section from a fish called Xiphactinus Audax, super nice find.--Tom

Thanks, Foshunter and others (pirana,squalicorax, Mr. Edonhice, Fossil maniac). I appreciate the help.

George

Guest N.AL.hunter

I have found both Xiphactnus and Enchodus skulls in that formation, but based on size alone, I agree with Xaph. Nice find. Not too many pieces of this fish are found large than single verts/teeth in Alabama. If you have not been there, the area below the Heflin Dam near Gainesville, Alabama is good for this type of thing, but the matrix breaks up very easily.

I have found both Xiphactnus and Enchodus skulls in that formation, but based on size alone, I agree with Xaph. Nice find. Not too many pieces of this fish are found large than single verts/teeth in Alabama. If you have not been there, the area below the Heflin Dam near Gainesville, Alabama is good for this type of thing, but the matrix breaks up very easily.

Thanks, Del. I appreciate the info. I visited the Heflin Dam area a few years ago while working in that area, but didn't have time to look around much. I hope to spend a little time in that area later this spring. BTW, I collected a 20+ inch section of a mosasaur jaw this past weekend. Pretty poor preservation, though. Started working on it today, but will take awhile. I'll post pics when complete.

George