Mystery Fossil

Just Bob

I find myself one more time in need of my fellow collectors help. A bit of cabin fever has me going through some of my old finds and I came across this. I have a guess as to what it is but I would like to hear what others think. It is upper cretaceous in age.

post-2410-0-75715800-1298426672_thumb.jpg

post-2410-0-54904700-1298426680_thumb.jpg

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

No clue, but could it be vivianite nodules in coral?

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Looks like stream tumbled Lithostrotionella to me

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I agree that's it's most likely invertebrate, but I've seen a lot of chondricthyan cartilage that weathers much like this. Just offering another avenue.

Thats exactly what I thought Carl, that it might be some kind of cartilage. But after reading some of the post here I have emailed a local invertebrate expert and his opinion from the pictures I sent was the same as everybody else, that it was coral or perhaps even bryozoan. Before he commits he wants to see it in hand.

It was found in one of the brooks in Monmouth Co. Not really known for their corals.

Edited by Just Bob

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

It doesn't really look devonian to me, although I must admit I am far from a devonian expert.

Upton Sinclair