Brachiopod And

andy1314

Hello Andy1314.

I'm not sure there's enough detail to be able to tell much of anything definitively.Looks like it could be a horn coral imprint or more worn brachiopod bits.

It's really difficult to pin anything down with no information on where this was found, and the age of the formation it was found in.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

they were found in lost pines texas in a dry creek bed, i've also found petrified wood, gastropods, lots of chert, some jasper, it's a very diverse creek bed as far as composition goes

The little raised circular bits in the depressions look rather like casts of Cliona borings (ichnogenusEntobia) - which I think would be Cretaceous.

Tarquin

Could be - is the rock flinty/cherty? - whatever they are they look like silica casts of hollows within the original shell material rather than on it - I could be seeing the photos wrong though.

Tarquin

these are in texas at the moment, i won't be getting them til my dead gets back in a week or two, i'll be sure to figure out the type of rock it is when i get them

The surface geology in that area is Eocene. I have seen similar rocks with fossils and imprints dumped in drainage ditches, on creek banks, etc. to prevent erosion. Some of them inevitably wind up downstream. They are probably imported from somewhere many miles west of there. I have a few similar ones. Still trying to determine their origin.