Hungry Hollow

Northern Sharks

I had a blast at this famous site on Sunday. I would have liked to stay longer, but with temps in the low 30's (celsius) and a humidex around 40, the 3 1/2 hours or so I spent there did me in. This place has fossils everywhere. I would like to get back in the fall and spend a day splitting shale, as that's where the best stuff is trapped, but there is no shortage of pieces lying all over the site. By far my best day hunting yet. There are some additional pics in the Locations sub-forum. Enjoy

1) Horn corals, probably the most abundant fossils at the site, though not all this large

2) Crinoid pieces. I was told that very intricate, complete examples are occasionally found in the soft Arkona shale

3) Small brachiopod

4) Among other things on this piece, is a large Tentaculite (below the pin) They look like a small orthoceras and get up to about 3 cm at best. There are dozens of smaller ones, 5-7 mm each on the same piece.

5) Back of the same piece with some decent Mucrospirifer arkonensis brachs

6) The Ausable River. I had to wade across this to get to the best spot for Mucrospirifer brachs. Very fast moving, muddy water only about thigh deep where I crossed (and I didn't fall in)

7) The results of the crossing. Pockets full of these Mucrospirifers (M.thedfordensis, I believe) Plenty of Greenops trilobite pygidiums on this side as well, but no shade so I couldn't stay as long as I would have liked

post-77-1213062289_thumb.jpg

post-77-1213062313_thumb.jpg

post-77-1213062342_thumb.jpg

post-77-1213062369_thumb.jpg

post-77-1213062390_thumb.jpg

post-77-1213062413_thumb.jpg

post-77-1213062433_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Way, way, way cool; worth baking your brains over.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very cool. I think I like brachiopods almost as much as sharks teeth. Congratulations.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

The richness of that site is staggering. The Mucrospirifers are in incredible shape with both valves. Did you have to extract them from matrix or were they just lying there?

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Nothern Shark

Wish I knew you were going to be at my all time favorite collecting spot. Maybe I would have joined you, but the temperature yesterday would have made me hesitant. Yes, it is every bit as good as you described. There is very little you can't find there. Definiely no shark teeth. The crinoid you see under my forum name is from the shale pits along the river. It was collected about 20 years ago. Unfortunately the shale pits are not as productive today as they were then. To find such stuff today would be a lot of work.

If you plan a fall trip, I would definitely be interested. I just can't stand the heat and humidity.

crinus

The Mucrospirifer thedfordensis (the loose ones) are lying in abundance on the surface if you're willing to wade across the river. The clay/limestone is gradually eroding and they just drop out. I had my pockets filled with nice ones in no time. The M. arkonensis are a lot wider (3" or so) and a lot more fragile. Those ones you would have to work for, or get lucky near where the clay excavating is going on. Crinus: Had I realized you were that close I would have contacted you. Now that I know where this place is, I will definately be returning when I won't get baked alive, probably sometime this fall. I have several more of the brachs if anyone is interested in trading.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest N.AL.hunter

Wow, great site. Field trip, but too far away for me. Just imagine that place when it all was alive!!

Glad you had an exciting time. thanks for sharing the photos.

I once collected a 'bucket' of nice loot at the site. This is one of my favorite specimens.

Mucrospirifer thedfordensis

Note pygidium (tail) of trilobite on left 'wing.'

post-69-1213237536_thumb.jpg

Glad you had an exciting time. thanks for sharing the photos.

I once collected a 'bucket' of nice loot at the site. This is one of my favorite specimens.

Mucrospirifer thedfordensis

Note pygidium (tail) of trilobite on left 'wing.'

post-69-1213237536_thumb.jpg

That is an amazing specimen.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Archived