Show Your Lava

bdevey

Hello everyone.

''Leaves in lava...'' . It sounds superb. But could it be???

A long ago I've found in my area my first plant material. It was two rocks containing leave layers mainly of platanus sp. The first rock is of a normal color, as shown in the pic 1. The second rock bears the colors of a burning like appearance and I didn't respect it since the leaves it contains are not in a good condition. Thanks to bdevey's idea about lava, this second rock came on mind and so I present two pieces of it: the first in the pics 2-5 and the second in the pics 6-10.

I clarify that there is not any additional material (luster or anything) on these pieces.

Am I into the topic???

If not, sorry for the trouble.

Best regards

Astrinos

If the last two rocks are hard and I do mean hard, I'm thinking their agatized into kind of a yellow jasper. This is probably do to a silica rich soil from volcanic ash, ash maybe from Santorini or some other volcano from the past in your area. Let me know what you think...And don't be sorry at all, it is TFF and those are neat looking and now we have seen your first plant fossils :)

It counts, lets see it......That reminds me, recently a dam was taken out that was up river from me, and now I've seen a couple pieces floating down river.

Ok then, I will get some pictures soon!

If the last two rocks are hard and I do mean hard, I'm thinking their agatized into kind of a yellow jasper. This is probably do to a silica rich soil from volcanic ash, ash maybe from Santorini or some other volcano from the past in your area. Let me know what you think...And don't be sorry at all, it is TFF and those are neat looking and now we have seen your first plant fossils :)

Hello Bob.

Many thanks for your answer. Really the rock is very hard and even it's well distinguished that it contains leaves layers, it's impossible to extract a leave intact.

If volcanic material, the first that comes on my mind is the Santorini volcano (amazed you know that :wub: ) but unfortunately ... I am not to say for sure.

Best regards

Astrinos

Astrinos P. Damianakis

As promised Bob - six(6) installments of volcanological goodies from UO !!

Check the other thread later this evening for more great UO-Condon fossils. smile.gif

University of Oregon - Volcanology Department 1

post-4301-0-84686700-1299033147_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-68838500-1299033137_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-83840600-1299033156_thumb.jpg

Edited by piranha

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

University of Oregon - Volcanology Department 6

post-4301-0-08631300-1299035555_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-88381600-1299035560_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-15075800-1299035568_thumb.jpg

i i i i Don't Don't Know What To Say. :o

Thanks, for the great photos, And your work, Wow

It's great to see some of those Lava rocks from areas you can't collect.

I'm guna have to visit that place. I'm surprised at how many samples I didn't recognize.

Thanks for posting :D

I have some lava!

I bought it at the DVPS's Fossil Fair in Pennsylvania. I'm thinking it's probably been carved a bit to look nice, as I don't think they come in spheres most of the time :wacko:

Sadly I can't post a pic yet, because the computer is being screwy (again) and doesn't really accept photos from a USB right now.

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

• 2 weeks later...
:) Nice specimens guys.Sorry, I had only one specimen.It was from Hawaii,mailed it back.Pele was very angry over it so it was mailed back with an offering to cool things down. :(

Bear-dog.

• 1 month later...

watched a great Miracle Planet about Lave Flows and the ensuing record of Earths magnetic field reversal they can show us, heres a Science Daily follow up...Website

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

here's some pleistocene obsidian i found. Beijing, China.

there once was a volcano in beijing... nope, not the CCTV tower. B)

post-4996-0-95692900-1303483978_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossil maniac

• 2 weeks later...

I did have a chunk of Lava from the flow of Sunset Crater, but apparently it ended up in a box of material I donated to my local museum.

So here is a large Snowflake Obsidian I picked up in my travels, locality unknown.

post-1313-0-53568000-1304258370_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Lava from eastern Montana.

Wow, :blush: didn't expect to see those from Eastern Montana, very nice.

This is obsidian found just outside of Boise Idaho. It is six inches long by a little under four inches wide. The last pic was also found in Idaho. It appears to be glass. I don't know how it got there.

post-5476-0-15948800-1304311723_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-86371100-1304311741_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-65941800-1304311778_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-01844000-1304311997_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

This is obsidian found just outside of Boise Idaho. It is six inches long by a little under four inches wide. The last pic was also found in Idaho. It appears to be glass. I don't know how it got there.

I think that could be opal, if so very nice! :wub:

I jest googled images, and it looks like it is opal.

Edited by bdevey

I think that could be opal, if so very nice! :wub:

I jest googled images, and it looks like it is opal.

If it is opal it is huge. It weighs three to four pounds. It is thirteen centimeters by ten centimeters.

Chelebele

Speaking of opal and volcanic rocks, here is hyalite in rhyolite from Transylvania.

post-1860-0-73380300-1304370548_thumb.jpg

Speaking of opal and volcanic rocks, here is hyalite in rhyolite from Transylvania.

post-1860-0-73380300-1304370548_thumb.jpg

Wow! That is beatifull. :thumbsu:

Chelebele

If it is opal it is huge. It weighs three to four pounds. It is thirteen centimeters by ten centimeters.

Its a very nice piece, search, images on goggle for 'orange opal'.