Show Your Lava

bdevey

I generally don't get involved with lapidary rough material like that, so I can't be sure. But is doesn't strike me as opal. Perhaps some sort of agate or calcite.

It's difficult to ID minerals just by picture, and I'm not good with these volcanic minerals, but my first impression is goethite or hematite.

It's difficult to ID minerals just by picture, and I'm not good with these volcanic minerals, but my first impression is goethite or hematite.

Awesome, Thank you!

Here is a nice lava chunk that washed up on the beach,north central Vancouver Island.

It shows at least 6 successive eruption periods, one atop another, and appears to show different viscosities as the eruptions ebbed and flowed. Some are quite frothy, some are very dense.

post-5479-0-37098400-1305134703_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJ Fossil

Here is a nice lava chunk that washed up on the beach,north central Vancouver Island.

It shows at least 6 successive eruption periods, one atop another, and appears to show different viscosities as the eruptions ebbed and flowed. Some are quite frothy, some are very dense.

Now that is a neat one!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Lava from eastern Montana.

Beautiful lava!!I didn't know there were so many varieties.

"Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday" - Dale Carnegie

Beautiful lava!!I didn't know there were so many varieties.

I found a chunk as big as a volkswagen beetle...haven't figured out how to get it home yet! It is beautiful.

Chelebele

• 1 month later...

mahogany obsidian, western US, scuse the vauge location, I have securely stored all my mineral data in a safe place so that I NEVER lose it, which is to say, now I have to figure our where this secure location is...:unsure:

post-4577-0-60756200-1309223401_thumb.jpg

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

• 6 months later...

It was only a matter of time before the lava flows of Oregon would get my attention. This year will include a field trip with points of interest through the Oregon Cascades lava fields. The specimens posted today were collected from private land just outside of the Craters of the Moon National Monument along the Snake River Plain in southern Idaho. The most recent flows from COTM are estimated from 15 Kya - 2 Kya. This ropy lava is called Pahoehoe (pronounced: pa-hoy-hoy) from the Hawaiian word meaning, "smooth and unbroken". Each example is actual size at approximately 6" in length.

I blame this new obsession I'm calling <Lava :o Lunacy> on the thread starter... Thanks Bob! :P:D

post-4301-0-32546900-1326053506_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-55313600-1326053513_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-99744600-1326053521_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Visiting Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is officially added to the Bucket-List.

Here is an incredible time-lapse video of a pahoehoe lava flow from Kilauea:

:Bananasaur: Planetary Accretion in Action :Bananasaur:

One more today for all Lava wacko.gif Lunatics:

Peridot / Olivine vesicular basalt bomb :ninja:

post-4301-0-07392700-1326151517_thumb.jp

That's Da Bomb!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Not sure if this ones fits here or not? I was told it was Mudd, then I posted it and was told it was "molten". Anyway here it is...

post-7322-0-18331700-1326157510.jpg

Troy Nelson

It was only a matter of time before the lava flows of Oregon would get my attention. This year will include a field trip with points of interest through the Oregon Cascades lava fields. The specimens posted today were collected from private land just outside of the Craters of the Moon National Monument along the Snake River Plain in southern Idaho. The most recent flows from COTM are estimated from 15 Kya - 2 Kya. This ropy lava is called Pahoehoe (pronounced: pa-hoy-hoy) from the Hawaiian word meaning, "smooth and unbroken". Each example is actual size at approximately 6" in length.

I blame this new obsession I'm calling <Lava :o Lunacy> on the thread starter... Thanks Bob! :P:D

Hehe, Your welcome Scott. I'm really looking forward to our trip...here's a little preview...

post-4158-0-02696200-1326161058_thumb.jpgpost-4158-0-96566100-1326161740_thumb.jpg

I'm sure we will find some nice pieces and take some great photos.

Bob

Not sure if this ones fits here or not? I was told it was Mudd, then I posted it and was told it was "molten". Anyway here it is...

Can you post a larger photo? And whats the size? And I bet you know the next question??, lol.

Bob

Can you post a larger photo? And whats the size? And I bet you know the next question??, lol.

Bob

Here are a few more pics, larger, including size (11" x 11") and according to my ESPN, you want to know;

Q - What age is it? A - I don't know, I was told it was fossilized mud.

Q - What formation did it come from? A - All I was told was it came from Peru

Q - Are you a great dancer? A - no.

post-7322-0-16291500-1326236295_thumb.jpg

post-7322-0-62007600-1326236297_thumb.jpg

post-7322-0-56788800-1326236299_thumb.jpg

post-7322-0-69770000-1326236301_thumb.jpg

post-7322-0-83890200-1326236303_thumb.jpg

Troy Nelson

Here are a few more pics, larger, including size (11" x 11") and according to my ESPN, you want to know;

Q - What age is it? A - I don't know, I was told it was fossilized mud.

Q - What formation did it come from? A - All I was told was it came from Peru

Q - Are you a great dancer? A - no.

I am really curious about this specimen!

Does it react to vinegar?

I am packing for a trip to the great state of Texas :notfair: , be back later in the month. Sorry, I just do not have time to dig the piece back out, test and store it away again before the trip :startle: . I may have my buddy play around with it while he is watching the house :D and I will post the results via my kinda-smart phone from Waco.

Troy Nelson

This is the only igneous material I ahve been able to find around here.

Haha, lava soap, why not? Now you can prep the pumice out of it :P

Interesting piece, Kinda looks like it could be from a hydrothermal vent..post-4158-0-90124200-1326341381_thumb.jpg..Peru is very volcanic. Anyways, just a thought.

Edited by bdevey

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received another interesting lava specimen collected on private land just outside of the Craters of the Moon National Monument along the Snake River Plain in southern Idaho. This type of lava specimen is called blue-glassy or Blue Dragon pahoehoe. The blue-glassy lobes form 10-14 days after the base of inflation and 5-10 °C cooler than adjacent silvery lobes of pahoehoe. Other distinct differences are a dense crystalline interior and fluorine-deficient surface that indicate blue-glassy pahoehoe was stagnant for a considerable period within the lava tube system allowing vapors to separate before extrusion. Also attached is page of different lava examples from my COTM souvenir book.

Next I'm hoping for a bread-crust or spindle BOMB :ninja::o:P

post-4301-0-58111500-1327195519_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-42108200-1327195531_thumb.jpg

Hey Auspex, just got a text from my Bud who looking after things for us. He said " I used a small amount of vinegar on the backside, did not see any reaction, I think? Not sure what I am looking for?" So, I'm not sure what this tells you, but there it is.

P.S. Really nice lava everyone!

Edited by dudeman

Troy Nelson