Septarian Nodule

Hit The Deck

I picked this up in a shop last year and someone told me it is possible to have it x-rayed to find out the best way to split without destroying what’s inside does anyone have a line on x-raying or some other way to tell what’s inside? . I’m torn with this because it’s a beautiful nodule but it’s like having a unopened Christmas present sitting on my mantle! Also this thing is loaded with fossils on the outside and I was wondering what they are? What do you all think?

post-2688-0-97693800-1298900868_thumb.jpg

post-2688-0-37499700-1298900879_thumb.jpg

post-2688-0-82808200-1298900891_thumb.jpg

post-2688-0-05560700-1298900901_thumb.jpg

post-2688-0-93539500-1298900912_thumb.jpg

post-2688-0-27082200-1298900927_thumb.jpg

post-2688-0-00649100-1298900937_thumb.jpg

post-2688-0-80102100-1298900945_thumb.jpg

post-2688-0-23772200-1298900984_thumb.jpg

Mostly I see a lot of crinoid stems on the surface. I personally would not split that specimen; it is quite cool looking as it is, and there is little to no chance that anything interesting (at least in the way of fossils) will be inside.

Don

That's a tough call. It's beautiful the way it sits, however, the aragonite can clearly be seen in the dividers, so chances of a beautiful inside mineral specimen are good. As far as a fossil inside, I rarely see any intact fossils inside the seps I've opened up. The calcite and mud inside usually destroy whatever used to be in there. IF you decided to split it, I would have it cut through the middle so you can display it both from the outside and the inside.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

...I would have it cut through the middle so you can display it both from the outside and the inside.

Ditto this; have your cake and eat it too!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

How hard is it? I see in the 2nd pic' it's standing on end. Are there any signs of fossils on that end? If so, and it's soft enough, try further exposing them. Nothing to lose if not, but a possible insight into what is deeper within, if you can further expose any fossils there. I wouldn't go too deep though, just a trial run.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

If you cut it, you dont want to cut it along a ridge, you want to cut it down the middle, slicing as many ridges in half as you can. Anyways thats how I slice geodes and thunder eggs and I get good results. Good luck

You would ruin it if the inside is a dud. :(

As Don and Mike have mentioned your specimen has crinoid fossils attached as well. Too cool IMHO as is to risk messing with it. Check around the internet as there are many fine examples already cut so you could pick one just to your liking. I can envision each sparkling half flanking your beautiful nodule!

Thanks for posting it and Good Luck !! :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png