Not Sure What This Could Be.

megateeth

I pulled this up this weekend in a spot where I find Megalodon, Gomph and Mammoth teeth. It has a claw like shape. It is just about 3" from end to end. Any clues or is it just a chipped and worn bone?

post-1309-0-14269000-1299016465_thumb.jpg

post-1309-0-84816800-1299016470_thumb.jpg

Edited by megateeth

Looks cranial... :unsure:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I was thinking more like a piece of a skull; the compound contours got me thinking that direction.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Maybe a piece of a Mastodon tooth's root? Check out http://www.paleodiscoveries.com/MammothMastodon.html

You may be on to it!

You may be on to it!

I'd go for mammoth; for it's size, it's thinner and curvier than most mastodon roots I've seen.

Edited by THobern

Im with Al Dente on this one...I certainly looks like a partial cetation tympanic bulla.

Edited by Sharks of SC

Something like this:

post-2301-0-46693000-1299029926_thumb.jpg

That was my first thought because I found some that looked similar before. After looking at it I did not think so but now that you show it like that I think you are correct.

Edited by megateeth