Pleistocene Claw?

darrow

If I was cataloging that, I would call it mammalian bone. It is to badly beat up and eroded for any kind of identification. Claws are made of the same thing as your hair and fingernails and does not fossilize.

when something like that has all the cortical bone worn off around it, and the cancellous bone is all that you're seeing, it's a likely thought that you are not seeing the original outside shape of the thing, because it's been tumbled a lot against stuff that wore it down. depending on it's shape and the relative density of various parts of it, the tumbling may be biased in a manner to wear one end more than another and completely change the shape from the original.

Semantically, we should differentiate between "claw" and "claw core"; I think the question asked is whether it might be the latter.

My opinion is "maybe"; it's rather well worn for me to go much further.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hmmm...it is eroded enough for only an approximate ID. Can't say for sure but in the third picture I think I can see some of the honeycomb structure. Where did you find this?

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

I do not see claws there. Sometime keratin in the right Konservat-Lagerstätten fossilizes :)

Oh sure bring a Lagerstat into this :D

My bad for making an over generalized statement. You are correct!

Hmmm...it is eroded enough for only an approximate ID. Can't say for sure but in the third picture I think I can see some of the honeycomb structure. Where did you find this?

Here's a couple better pics. I found it at a spot I frequent on the Texas City dike, Galveston Bay Tx.

post-3218-0-76551500-1299136717_thumb.jpg

post-3218-0-65898800-1299136721_thumb.jpg

Archived